Perfect Valentine’s Day date ideas for Virginia sports fans

The best ways to woo your Cavalier date on V-Day

<p>John Paul Jones Arena, Lambeth Field, the Aquatic &amp; Fitness Center and Memorial Gymnasium are just a few of the spots perfect for Virginia fans to visit on Valentine's Day.&nbsp;</p>

John Paul Jones Arena, Lambeth Field, the Aquatic & Fitness Center and Memorial Gymnasium are just a few of the spots perfect for Virginia fans to visit on Valentine's Day. 

We all know fans of Virginia sports have passion for their teams, but many of them have a passion for that special someone as well. This is for all those love-struck Cavalier fans who need some ideas for the perfect date this Valentine’s Day.

Make memories at Memorial Gymnasium

Memorial Gymnasium is a classic spot for any sports fan but a special one for those with a love interest. Unfortunately, the wrestling team will be headed to Duke this Valentine’s Day, so couples will miss out on the action. However, they can still take advantage of all of Memorial Gymnasium’s amenities ranging from the dry sauna to daytime towel service. Wrestling or not, you should definitely pin down reservations for two at Memorial Gymnasium this Valentine’s Day.

Court your date at John Paul Jones Arena

While there may not be a Virginia basketball game for this year’s Valentine’s Day, you can still cuddle up courtside with that special someone at John Paul Jones Arena. The Daily Show host Trevor Noah will be performing starting at 8 p.m. in the arena. This makes for the perfect opportunity to let loose and have a few laughs instead of stressing over a last-minute loss to Syracuse or NC State. Lovers can sit back and enjoy some soft pretzels while listening to Noah’s lighthearted jokes and admiring the beautiful 2019 National Championship banner. You might shoot a different kind of shot than the ones senior guard Braxton Key and sophomore guard Kihei Clark do, but rest assured, this date is sure to be a slam dunk.

Have an Olympic experience

Take your date to the Aquatic and Fitness Center Friday and go for a swim in Virginia’s Olympic-sized swimming and diving pool. Home to not only an excellent program, but a world-class facility worth over $18.5 million, the AFC is a great place to have a workout date this Valentine’s Day. You could crush some weights or just walk on the treadmill, burning calories with a passion in your heart. After a great workout, you can either settle down with a romantic, candle-lit yoga class or cool off with a dip in the pool. Either way, you’re guaranteed to make a splash.

Take your lover to Lambeth

One of the easiest ways to impress your significant other is to show them how sophisticated and profound you are, and what better way to do that than to take them to one of the most historical places on Grounds? No, not the Lawn nor the Rotunda, but Lambeth Field, the original home of the Virginia football team. Nothing’s more romantic than enjoying a nice picnic while sharing stories of the golden age of Virginia football. In fact, the Cavaliers didn’t even have a losing season until 1916, which can be attributed to the chaos of World War I. Lambeth Field’s old charm and historic background makes it the perfect location for lovers to admire both the storied greatness of Cavalier sports and each other.

Lovebirds at Birdwood Golf Course

Bring your date to Virginia’s premier 18-hole golf course, home to one of the best golf programs in the nation. Birdwood not only has clean-cut grass and amazing water features, but it overlooks a beautiful forest, making it a relaxing and amorous look at nature. Play a few holes at one of the top collegiate courses in the country with your lovebird and let the scenery distract them from your poor play. If you and your partner get tired, take a break at the best resort in all of Charlottesville — Boar’s Head Resort. If you make a trip to Birdwood this Friday, count on a Valentine’s Day that you’ll never forget.