Clemons Library closes for the second time in four days due to low mask compliance

Nine percent of the occupants in Clemons were not wearing their masks despite repeated warnings

The level of face mask compliance was 87 percent and then 91 percent following multiple warnings.

中文版请点击此处

Clemons Library temporarily closed for two hours on Wednesday following low levels of mask compliance, marking the second time in four days this measure was taken.

According to Elyse Girard, director of communications for the University library system, the level of face mask compliance was 87 percent and then 91 percent following multiple warnings. Despite the bump up in compliance, the library was closed.

When Clemons was closed on Sunday, compliance was 75 percent.

“We almost never have 100 percent compliance, but due to President Ryan’s new policy we really should have 100 percent,” Girard said.

The University’s new restrictions, which took effect on Wednesday, require students to wear their masks at all times outside their residence unless they are eating or exercising.

Correction: The subhead of this article previously stated that 91 percent of occupants were not wearing masks, when it was nine percent of occupants not wearing masks. The Cavalier Daily apologizes for the error.