The Cavalier Daily elects editors for the 132nd term

Third-year College student Jenn Brice elected editor-in-chief

The Cavalier Daily staff elected its incoming managing and junior boards for the 132nd term Saturday.

The Cavalier Daily held its 132nd term elections Saturday, electing third-year College student Jenn Brice as editor-in-chief in a contested election.

Brice, who presently serves as the paper’s managing editor, will succeed Nik Popli, the current Editor-in-Chief of The Cavalier Daily’s 131st term and a fourth-year College student. The new term begins Jan. 22.

As editor-in-chief, Brice looks forward to engaging both the University and Charlottesville community. 

“I’m really looking forward to a new year with a group that is so committed to engaging their staff and our community,” Brice said. “I’ve been so inspired by how our staff have ambitiously adapted to the pandemic in the past term [and] I’m honored to get to work with a team that’s so creative and thoughtful in their storytelling.”

Brice’s goals for the term include continuing to maximize the paper’s presence online and on social media.

“I’m hoping to work to fulfill our core purpose of serving U.Va. and Charlottesville, making our content more accessible to and inclusive of our diverse community — particularly by expanding our digital presence,” Brice said.

Third-year College student Carolyn Lane, who currently serves as an assistant managing editor, was elected managing editor in a contested election. 

Third-year Commerce student Zack Pasciak was elected executive editor after serving as an opinion editor for The Cavalier Daily’s 131st term. 

Third-year College student Malcolm Mashig was re-elected to the position of chief financial officer after serving in the position throughout the 131st term. 

Third-year Commerce student Ankit Agrawal was re-elected operations manager.

Alongside electing its managing board, The Cavalier Daily also elected a new group of junior board members. 

Third-year Commerce student Pauline Povitsky and third-year College student Isabel Barney were selected for the positions of assistant managing editor in a contested election.

Second-year College students Maryann Xue and Eva Surovell were elected news editors in a contested election for the upcoming term. Surovell is currently among The Cavalier Daily’s news editors.

The life editors for the 132nd term will be third-year College students Nayeon Kim and Elise Kim, the latter of whom also served as life editor during the 130th and 131st terms.

Third-year College students Akhil Rekulapelli and Sarah Pettycord were elected as sports editors. Rekulapelli served as one of the 131st term’s sports editors.

The 132nd term’s opinion editors will be third-year College students Thomas Driscoll and Hailey Yowell. Yowell served as the opinion editor throughout the 131st term. 

Second-year College student Astha Kulshrestha and first-year College student Isabel Weir were selected as health and science editors. 

Second-year College student Kalista Diamantopolous and third-year College student Loree Seitz were elected to serve as arts and entertainment editors in a contested election.

Second-year College student Kyndal Harrison and second-year College student Vani Agarwal were selected as ABCD Magazine’s editors.

Second-year College student Nabeel Raza was re-elected as the podcast editor for On Record

Third-year College student Eshaan Sarup was re-elected as humor editor. 

Third-year Architecture student Audrey Lewis was re-elected as cartoon editor. 

The photo editors for the 132nd term will be third-year Educaton student Ariana Gueranmayeh and second-year College student Khuyen Dinh. Gueranmayeh currently serves as photo editor for the 131st term. 

Third-year College student Maggie Laird was selected as video editor. 

First-year College student Martha Wilding and second-year College student Anisha Hossain will serve as graphics editors. 

Second-year College students Ethan Fingerhut and Flora Kim and second-year Engineering student Noah Holloway were re-elected to serve as production editors in a contested election. 

Second-year College student Isabel Carino was elected as social media manager. 

The 132nd term website manager will be second-year Engineering student Shruthi Nyshadham. 

Third-year College student Aldo Barriente and second-year College student Lily Lin were elected translation editors, Lin having served as a Chinese translation editor for the 131st term. 

Second-year College student Jenna Carpenter was selected to serve as finance manager.