COVID-19 cases decline across Grounds, averaging nine new cases per day this week

Thursday's eight new cases brought the total active case count this fall to 101

Of the active cases, 31 are students and 70 are faculty and staff.

The weekly average of diagnosed COVID-19 cases per day decreased this week for both students and faculty, with a weekly average of nine cases between Sunday and Thursday compared to 10 last week and 13 the week before.

There are currently 101 active cases of COVID-19 within the University community, bringing the total case count for the fall semester to 611. Of the 101 cases, 31 are students while 70 are members of the faculty and staff, according to the University’s COVID-19 tracker

The seven-day average positivity rate decreased from 1.98 percent Sunday to 1.73 percent on Thursday. The positivity rate among faculty and staff — 2.96 percent — is notably higher than the student positivity rate of 0.81 percent.

As cases declined, the seven-day average for tests administered declined this week. On Sunday, the seven-day average was 506.3 people tested per day, compared to 461.4 people Thursday. Students make up a vast majority of those tested, with an average seven-day testing rate of 263.7 students tested, compared to 197.7 faculty and staff. This number only includes tests administered through U.Va Health or LetsGetChecked and does not take into account other tests. 

In order to return to residential learning, students were required to either submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or provide documentation of an approved medical or religious exemption. Faculty and staff however were not required — but encouraged — to get vaccinated before returning to in-person teaching. 2.4 percent of students have documented vaccination exemptions, while 97 percent of students and 92 percent of faculty at the University are fully vaccinated.

All students living in the Charlottesville and Albemarle area who are not currently vaccinated are required to report for testing on a weekly basis. If a student fails to comply with mandatory testing, one of four punishments increasing in severity will be instituted. 

Provost Liz Magill and Chief Operating Officer J.J. Davis sent an email to the University community Friday afternoon notifying them of the administration’s decision to extend its indoor mask mandate. University leaders said they plan to monitor COVID-19 cases for those living and learning on Grounds throughout the month, and will issue another update on the policy Nov. 1.

Eight patients were admitted to U.Va. Health with COVID-19 Thursday, bringing the current total of COVID-19 hospitalizations to 63. 

The University is currently at zero percent occupancy for quarantine rooms and 3 percent occupancy for isolation rooms. Quarantine rooms are for those who may have been exposed to COVID-19, while isolation rooms are for those who have tested positive for COVID-19.

Students who are symptomatic can make an appointment on their HealthyHoos portal to get tested this Saturday between noon and 4 p.m. at the Student Health and Wellness building. Faculty, staff, and students can also undergo voluntary asymptomatic testing during walk-in testing hours from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Scott Stadium and the Emmet/Ivy parking garage.

The University’s COVID-19 tracker is updated every weekday at 4 p.m.