Charlottesville City Council approves appropriation of $40,000 funding from Batten Family Fund grant award

The Council also approved consideration of a zoning text amendment for Planned Urban Development Districts

The grant money will support the Community Youth Internship Program, a program that provides local youth to participate in paid internships within Charlottesville.

The Charlottesville City Council unanimously consented to the appropriation of a $40,000 grant from the Batten Family Fund to the Department of Human Services to fund an internship program. The Council also approved a zoning text amendment that will make land lots smaller than two acres eligible to be rezoned into Planned Urban Developments. 

The DHS — which provides services and programs to support local youth, families and community organizations — applied for the grant from the Batten Family Fund, a gift sponsored by the Batten family. The money will support the Community Youth Internship Program, a program that provides local youth to participate in paid internships within Charlottesville. The grant award covers the period from Nov. 1, 2022 through Oct. 31, 2023 and funds from the grant will support stipends for interns who participate in the program. 

The Batten family notably gave a $100 million gift to the University in 2007, which helped to create the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy.

The Council also approved a zoning text amendment that modifies the required development size for Planned Urban Development Districts — a diversified group of varied land uses — for properties that are currently zoned as mixed-use urban zones. The amendment removes the previous acreage requirement for PUDs and allows lots smaller than two acres to be eligible for rezoning to Planned Unit Developments. 

Zoning changes to the City of Charlottesville are currently underway as a part of the City’s mandatory review of its comprehensive plan every five years. One overarching goal of the zoning changes is to make affordable housing more accessible to the community. 

Community and Council members previously discussed the zoning amendment in a public hearing March 14. The Council will re-address the FY 2024 budget and tax levy at a later meeting April 11. 

The next City Council general meeting will be held April 17.