U.Va. ranked fifth best public university, falling two spots from last year

The University also ranked 24th nationally

The University is ranked the fifth best public university in the country by U.S News and World Report.

U.S. News and World Report ranked the University the fifth best public university in the country Monday in its 2023-24 ranking of Best Colleges. The University fell two spots from last year’s rankings, where it had been tied for third place with University of Michigan Ann Arbor. 

The University was also ranked 24th best national university this year, moving up one spot after ranking 25th for the past two consecutive years. The 24 spot is tied with Georgetown University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Carnegie Mellon University, Emory University and Washington University in St. Louis. 

The University of Michigan Ann Arbor maintained its third place ranking and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is currently ranked fourth. 

U.S. News ranked the University 26 in best value schools, moving up six spots from last year’s ranking of 32. The University was also named the 10th best college for veterans and 34th for studying abroad. 

The University was reported to have a 15 to one student to faculty ratio, and it was ranked 48th in best undergraduate teaching programs. 

To be included in the U.S. News rankings, universities must be regionally accredited, enroll at least 100 undergraduate students and have reported data about financial expenditures to the U.S. Department of Education, among other qualifications.  

Vice Provost for Enrollment Steve Farmer told the University that “results demonstrate the strength of our students and the way our community cares for them and encourages them to excel.”