From the archives: Oct. 16 – Oct. 22

This week: film festivals, protests and First Year Players

1950s

October 20, 1950

“Date Hungry? Try These Places”

By Ewell Barr

This article details the variety of eateries a Virginia man could take his lady on a date, including the Virginian and the University Cafeteria on the Corner. Apparently, breakfast was only 65 cents and a seafood dinner with dessert cost just $2. 

1960s

October 19, 1960

“Scott Stadium Begins Its 29th Season”

By Stuart Sorg

Photo by Gregory

Scott Stadium was donated to the University by Frederick William Scott as a memorial to his parents. The history of Scott Stadium is outlined in this article, which held its first game Oct. 15, 1931 against VMI. The Cavaliers lost, 18 to 3.

1980s

October 18, 1984

“For first years only”

By Catherine Greer and Felicia Gay

Photos by Scott Manning

The First Year Players, a student-run theater organization, began in the spring of 1982 with its production of “Guys and Dolls.” In the fall of 1984, they were deep in rehearsals for their sixth production, “Pippin”. The entire cast is composed of first-year students, which allows the club to be “more fun and… less cut-throat” than the esteemed Virginia Players.

1990s

October 20, 1998

“Students struggle with pros, cons of long-distance dating”

By Richard Greifner

Photo by Florence Garbini

In this Life piece, students share their experiences with long-distance dating. Does distance make the heart grow fonder, or is the test of communication and trust too much for certain couples?

2000s

October 21, 2003

“Remake far outshines original, takes new twists while paying homage to source” and “Interview: ‘Italian Job’ Screenwriters”

By Tim Ciesco

For the 2003 Virginia Film Festival, Arts and Entertainment staffer Tim Ciesco reviews the 2003 remake of “The Italian Job” and conducts an interview with the scriptwriters, Donna and Wayne Powers. The 2023 Virginia Film Festival will take place next week, Oct. 25-29.