ROTC units to host early Veteran’s Day ceremony Tuesday afternoon

The University is recognizing the holiday early ahead of the one-year anniversary of the Nov. 13 shooting

The University’s ROTC units are recognizing Veterans Day early with a 24-hour vigil Monday at 4 p.m. at the North side of the Rotunda.

The University’s Reserve Officers’ Training Corps units are recognizing Veterans Day early with a 24-hour vigil Monday at 4 p.m. at the North side of the Rotunda that will culminate with a ceremony Tuesday at 4 p.m. The vigil comes early at the request of the ROTC ahead of the one-year anniversary of the Nov. 13 shooting —Veterans Day is Nov. 11. 

Monday’s vigil will be held in honor of prisoners of war and those missing in action, while students are invited to participate in the ceremony as a gesture of support for all who have served the country.

Tuesday afternoon’s Veterans Day ceremony will include the National Anthem, a POW/MIA presentation, a flag folding ceremony, the playing of taps and a 21-gun salute. The ceremony will also feature guest speaker Brig. Gen. Houston R. Cantwell who is an alumnus of the University and currently leads at the Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Ala.

The early Veteran’s Day ceremony precedes several events beginning this weekend to honor the three members of the football team — Devin Chandler, Lavel Davis Jr. and D’Sean Perry — who were fatally shot last year on Grounds. A quiet space for reflection hosted by the College will take place Friday, the day before Veterans day, in Old Cabell auditorium from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. The following week, the University’s Chapel bells will play “Amazing Grace” toll the bells three times at 12:55 p.m. Nov. 13 and leaders at the “Batten Hour” panel will discuss gun violence.

The vigil and ceremony took place in McIntire Amphitheater last year, but was relocated to the Rotunda this year due to Amphitheater renovations