U.Va. appoints Leslie Kendrick as next dean of the School of Law

Kendrick’s term will begin July 1

Kendrick’s selection followed a national search for the successor of the twelfth and current dean, Risa Goluboff.

Leslie Kendrick, Law professor and Class of 2006 alumna, was named the next dean of the School of Law Monday. Kendrick will serve as the second woman to hold the position, following current dean, Risa Goluboff.

Kendrick is the director of the Center for the First Amendment at the School of Law and serves as special advisor to Ian Baucom, executive vice president and provost, on free expression and inquiry. She also served as the vice dean of the School of Law from 2017 to 2021, aiding in the transition to virtual classes during the pandemic.

Kendrick expressed her gratitude for being selected for the position, as well as her anticipation to continue working with those in the School of Law as dean.

“I am honored to have the chance to serve this place that has given me so much,” Kendrick wrote in a Twitter statement. “All my warmest wishes and gratitude to Dean @RisaGoluboff and to my faculty, staff, student, and alumni colleagues. I look forward to working with you!”

In a statement published in a U.Va. Today article, University President Jim Ryan said he was excited to welcome Kendrick as the new dean, highlighting qualities that made her fit for the role.

“I’m thrilled to welcome Leslie Kendrick as the new dean of the Law School,” Ryan said. “She has a tremendous record of teaching and scholarship in torts and the First Amendment, and her University service has been invaluable.”

Kendrick’s selection followed a national search for the successor of the twelfth and current dean, Risa Goluboff. The search was led by a committee co-chaired by Baucom and John C. Jeffries Jr., dean of the School of Law from 2001 to 2008. 

Goluboff announced her resignation in September after eight years in the position. She will remain at the University as a Law professor. On the appointment of Kendrick as the next dean, Goluboff said in an interview with U.Va. Today that her time working with Kendrick while she was vice dean was enjoyable, and that she is confident in Kendrick’s ability to fulfill the role.

“She was a true partner in every success the Law School achieved and every challenge we overcame during her time as vice dean,” Goluboff said. “I cannot imagine a better-prepared, more highly qualified or more exciting successor.”

Kendrick’s term as the thirteenth dean of the School of Law will begin on July 1.