Lawn Selection Committee receives 177 applications from hopeful third years

Students will be given offers in mid-February

Students can expect to hear back no later than Feb. 16.

The Lawn Selection Committee received 177 applications to live on the Lawn for the 2024-2025 academic year.  Applicants, who are required to have an expected graduation date of May 2025, can expect to hear back no later than Feb. 16. 

This year, the Lawn Selection Committee received approximately 20 more applications than the year prior. However, in the year before the pandemic, the Committee received 236 applications for the 54 single rooms available on the Lawn. Applications have not broken 230 since then. 

The Lawn Selection Committee, which comprises roughly 60 fourth-year students, reviews the applications. Half of the committee members are representatives of certain University-affiliated organizations and affinity groups such as Student Council, the Black Student Alliance and the Inter-Fraternity Council. The other half of the Committee is composed of randomly selected members.

In addition to outlining their majors, minors and GPA, Lawn applicants were asked to list and describe their most significant commitments to the University and greater Charlottesville community. These commitments could include academic and extracurricular activities, in addition to positions of employment, achievements, awards and honors. According to the Lawn Selection Committee, residents of the Lawn are selected for their unselfish contributions to the University and greater Charlottesville community, as well as for outstanding scholarship in their respective fields of study.

Applicants were also asked to describe how they would contribute to the Lawn community and continue their impact on the University community. According to the Committee, residents are expected to strive to build an inclusive and vibrant community during their time on the Lawn.

Lawn eligibility is determined by a few factors. Potential residents are required to be full-time undergraduate students intending to graduate in May of the year they will be living on the lawn. If after the fall semester starts it is determined that a student will not graduate in May of the spring semester, their room will be given to the next student on the waiting list. Lawn residents must also agree not to study abroad the year of their residence, aside from J-term.

Applicants will receive offers to live on the Lawn no later than February 16, 2024.