Lending a hand during the finals push

The University community emphasizes student wellness as students near the end of the semester

<p>In the coming days, many resources will be available to students to help them recharge their batteries and bring their A-game to exams.</p>

In the coming days, many resources will be available to students to help them recharge their batteries and bring their A-game to exams.

As students prepare for a nine-day final exam period, administrators, alumni and student-run organizations are equipped to support them. In the coming days, many resources will be available to students to help them recharge their batteries and bring their A-game to exams. From providing stress-reducing activities to supplementing meals, the collective effort amongst organizations in and around the University underscores the importance of supporting students during this critical period. 

First-year College roommates Rio Jones and Adair Reid are currently in the throes of studying for their final exams. While sufficient exam preparation is crucial, students often take the time they spend studying to a stressful extreme. Reid stressed the value of setting healthy boundaries to avoid burnout in her pursuit for academic success.

“There comes a certain point where just pushing yourself to keep studying all day is not productive or conducive to your success,” Reid said. “What's really conducive to your success is being in the right mindset and being able to tackle the problems in front of you.”  

Jones agreed, mentioning the detrimental effects that overworking oneself can have on both academic performance and personal well-being. 

“I know that if I overwork myself or do too much, then I won't end up performing as well,” Jones said. “And then I'll just have a really miserable last two weeks at school.”

Nobody knows the stress of finals week better than those who have been through it all — current students and graduates alike. The U.Va. Alumni Association, staffed with University graduates, has historically put on finals programming to help prevent burnout. Lauren Coleman, assistant director of student engagement at the Alumni Association and Class of 2021 alumna, emphasized the importance of such initiatives as student workloads ramp up.

“With finals, there can just be a lot going on … and it's really important for students to find times to step away and recharge throughout the study process,” Coleman said. “It really is a marathon and not a sprint.”

The Alumni Association will host their Finals Study Break May 1. During the event, the Alumni Association will provide free Chick-fil-A catering for breakfast, pizza at lunch and Grit coffee and snacks throughout the day. Coleman hopes that the event will allow students to find a moment to relax and decompress during such a tumultuous week.

“I feel like that’s hopefully a nice way for students to have some space to study and be able to really focus and not have to worry about finding meals during finals time,” Coleman said. 

Student self-governance organizations will also offer finals resources this spring. The Honor Committee will have an “on my honor” Grit Coffee tab on exam days and will provide free Blue Books at the Newcomb Information Desk. In a recent committee meeting, Laura Howard, chair of the Committee and third-year College student, also cited concerns about students missing meals as they immerse themselves in their studies and proposed delivering food to the University libraries.

The Committee is also working in collaboration with Student Health and Wellness to promote their various wellness initiatives this finals season. Most notably, SHW will host their “Fuel for Finals'' event May 1 where students can enjoy free local coffee and healthy snacks. 

To help first-year students who are less-familiar with finals, the First-Year Council is organizing several events dedicated to decompressing and building community. FYC will hold their First Year Finals Focus event May 1 on the O’Hill lawn. Tote bags, spa goodies, gum, Celsius, Gatorade and fresh fruit will be up for grabs, as well as Mother’s Day gifts to reduce the stress of holiday shopping during finals.

Tina Yao, FYC wellness chair and first-year College student, explained that these goodies are intended to boost morale. She emphasized how important it is for students to prioritize their personal well-being during the “finals push.”

“Be kind to yourself. Remember to treat yourself, like going to get ice cream or just hanging out with friends. Those are necessities to your own mental health,” Yao said. “Your mental health and your physical health are going to be much more important than a grade that you got.”

Housing and Residence Life is also doing its part to make dorm life pleasant for residents over the coming weeks. Shylan Scott, associate dean of students and director of Residence Life, said that dorms will implement nighttime quiet hours starting at 10 p.m. Tuesday. Quiet hours encourage students to keep noise to a minimum in dorms to create an environment conducive to sleeping and studying.

Scott also said that Residential Advisors will increase coverage to be available to residents if they need additional support. Scott discussed how important it is for students to talk through any feelings of anxiety and unease with a trusted confidant during finals.

“I think it gives people an opportunity to process what they're feeling and explore how their needs can be best met at this point in time,” Scott said. “Sometimes your RA can be that for you, but other times it's more important to talk to a professional.”

If students need additional mental health support, Scott recommended they utilize the free TimelyCare app to speak with a licensed professional conveniently from home. Scott also mentioned Counseling and Psychological Services as a helpful in-person resource at SHW. 

The race to the end of the year has begun, and University groups have set up pit stops along the course to help students get to the finish line. Jones stressed the usefulness of these resources and implores other students to take advantage of them as well to finish the academic year in a successful and healthy way.

“I [used the resources] first semester, and they definitely helped a lot with being able to decompress and take some time away from the library,” Jones said. “I think that these resources can help a lot of other students be able to schedule something into their day in order to take a break.”