University student reports sexual assault off Grounds

A female University student reported she was sexually assaulted early Saturday morning in her 13th Street home by an unidentified assailant.

Charlottesville Police Sgt. Jim Pace declined to disclose the specific nature of the assault but said the victim was not raped.

The victim described the suspect as a black male who is about six feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds, Pace said.

The victim told police she did not know the attacker.

The assailant allegedly awakened the victim when he opened her bedroom door, Pace said. According to the police report, the suspect then put his hands around her throat and told her that if she screamed he would choke her.

No weapons were involved in the assault, police said.

Police reported that a screen is now missing from the victim's kitchen window, but police said there is no evidence that the suspect removed the screen to gain entry into the victim's home.

Police said they have no proof of forced entry or any other damage to the victim's home.

• Sexual Assault Resource Agency
  • Sexual Assault Education Office
  •  

Police have not yet named any suspects. Without a suspect, police said they would not speculate about whether the incident could be related to other crimes.

Assistant Dean of Students Aaron Laushway said the University offers many resources to crime victims.

"If [the victim] chooses to file charges against [the attacker], we will help her out in any way possible," Laushway said.

He said it was horrible that the crime was reported so soon after the Take Back the Night Rally, a rally held Thursday to raise awareness about violence against women.

"The University needs to unite against this violence," he added.