UF officials release zombie attack preparedness plan

A swine flu pandemic, a hurricane and a zombie attack - The University of Florida is prepared for all three, thanks in part to the recently released "Zombie Attack: Disaster Preparedness Simulation Exercise #5."

The farcical plan for a "Zombie Attack" simulation exercise was recently posted on the university's E-Learning Web site, which includes emergency plans for actual emergency situations. UF Chief Information Officer Charles Frazier, however, had the simulation plan taken down Oct. 1 after it received national media attention and after UF community members expressed concern that the gag was out of place among the more serious plans.

The six-page plan "was really funny and really well written" said Doug Johnson, assistant director for UF's Learning Services. UF News Bureau Director Steve Orlando said the guide was posted to "add a little levity" to the workplace and to "get people talking about the emergency plans."

Written by Johnson, the plan included a detailed description of the symptoms of "zombie behavior spectrum disorder," which include "recently dead but moving again" and "references to wanting to eat brains." Employees, meanwhile, are to be equipped with "long range (e.g. rifles) and short range (e.g. hand guns) firearms and other weaponry (e.g. chainsaws, baseball bats) for defense against the infected and to dispatch possibly infected co-workers." The plan cited films such as "28 Days Later" and "Dawn of the Dead" as scientific documentaries and also discussed the potential dangers associated with a zombie outbreak.

-compiled by Matt Conover