Police believe remains belong to Harrington

Skeletal remains found on local farm likely belong to missing Tech student, officials report

ns-harrington_press_conference-bs

State and local police officials announced yesterday that they are now "fairly confident" they have found the skeletal remains of Morgan Dana Harrington, the 20-year-old Virginia Tech student who went missing Oct. 17 during a Metallica concert at John Paul Jones Arena.

David Bass, the owner of Anchorage Farm in Albemarle County, discovered the remains in a hayfield while doing maintenance work on his 742-acre property, only eight miles south of Grounds.

"I was in a remote place on the farm that I rarely need to go to but I was checking fence lines because of the bad storm Sunday night," Bass said. After encountering the skeletal remains, he immediately contacted police officials at 9:53 a.m.

Both Albemarle County and Virginia State Police officers investigated the property until yesterday afternoon.

The remains are being transported to the chief medical examiner in Richmond for an examination and autopsy to scientifically confirm the identification of the remains, said Col. W. Steven Flaherty, superintendent of the state police.

The area in which the remains were found was not searched during the initial investigation following Harrington's October disappearance. After searching the areas surrounding JPJ, task forces performed specific spot searches deemed "prudent" at the time, State Police Lt. Joe Rader said.

The hayfield in which the remains were found was last cut in August 2009, Rader said, which would have decreased the likelihood that the remains would have been found earlier.

"During the time that Ms. Harrington disappeared, that hayfield would've been up to your waist," Rader said, adding that the large volume of snow in the Charlottesville area since October also reduced a person's ability to see the body.

After identifying the remains, police forces will begin to investigate the case as a homicide, Rader said. Investigators are hopeful that new evidence will help determine how Harrington came to be in this remote location, the time of death and who was responsible, Flaherty said.

"We have a perpetrator or perpetrators at large who we certainly intend to prosecute," Rader said. Until that time, Flaherty encouraged the public to continue to call in tips about the disappearance of Harrington.

Rader said Harrington's parents are reacting to the news like any normal parents would in the same situation. Rader also indicated that Gill and Dan Harrington are currently in the Charlottesville area.

Leonard Sandridge, University executive vice president and chief operating officer, expressed the University community's remorse to the Harrington family in a statement released yesterday.

"We are grateful to members of the larger community for the extraordinary support and commitment they have exhibited since Morgan's disappearance," Sandridge said in the statement. "We had all hoped and prayed for a different outcome. The University Police Department will continue to do all it can to support the Virginia State Police as they work to solve this case."

Virginia Tech President Charles Steger also released an open letter yesterday.

"For more than three months, the entire Virginia Tech community, along with thousands upon thousands around the world, has held out hope for the safe return of Morgan Harrington," he said. "Sadly, today's news from Albemarle County has put an end to that hope, and once again, we find our strength and resilience tested in the face of profound grief and loss"

Published January 27, 2010 in News

OPINION

• Of body and mind

As human beings, there is no reason to treat people with mental health disorders differently than we ...

• EMERY: We’re all in this together

Mental health issues also affect college students who are comfortable with who they are, who cope well ...

• AHMED: ADAPTing to college life

The most worthy part of ADAPT’s mission, in my eyes, is one of social norms. We have the ability to ...

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

Shae
(01/27/10 8:49am)
Report
Comment

May God comfort Morgans parents in this awful time of grief, and may He give the authorities the ability to find the monster(s) that did this and put an end to them.

juli
(01/27/10 2:38pm)
Report
Comment

im so sorry for morgan and her family,i cant amagine the pain in loozing a child, shes in good handswith god, but hopefully if justice on earth doesnt catch up to the killer /killers hopefully theyl answer to the man up stairs...an eye for an eye...i believe that...100%....eversince morgan first went missing she stayed on my mind,sadly we know what the outcome was but hopefully this will be the beging of the person/persons reliable getting theres.....

Anita Plecker
(01/27/10 5:00pm)
Report
Comment

I work at Shoney's in Staunton, and we have kept Morgan's Missing Poster at the door and have never took it down, and every I would hope that she would be found unharmed. Now I pray for God to comfort Mr. & Mrs Harrington. And for him to guide the authorities to find the horrible person or persons that did this.

WorkPaysOff
(01/27/10 5:31pm)
Report
Comment

I kind of expected this -- it was pretty obvious that she was gone when she didn't come home after the first couple of nights. I just wish that people had checked their own properties better. Yes, she could have been dumped in a remote area of a national forest where only an occasional hiker passes through, or thrown in the water somewhere, but that farm could have been checked thoroughly months ago. They say that the hay was high at the time -- but wouldn't there have been a path trampled where the predator dragged her away from the road? Even if he walked her in and committed the murder there, people might have seen something if they'd checked. Maybe cows were going through there too and there were lots of paths, but it would have been nice if someone had just walked through a lot of them to be sure. Anyway, I don't mean to nag, I just hope they catch the dirtbags who did this to her. I hate to say it, but the cops don't seem to get interested until there's a high profile case, but at least this time they'll make sure they catch the guy. Then the community will at least have that predator(s) off the streets.