Medical School dean to retire next year

Alzheimer's expert Steven T. DeKosky will continue hospital work, research post-retirement

<p>Steve Dekosky, Dean of UVa&#8217;s School of Medicine</p>

Steve Dekosky, Dean of UVa’s School of Medicine

University Medical School Dean Steven T. DeKosky announced last week he will step down July 31 after five years at the helm of central Virginia’s primary medical facility. DeKosky, who has gained international attention for his work on Alzheimer’s disease, will continue to treat patients and conduct research as a faculty member.

An ex officio member of the Board of Visitors’ Medical Center Operating Board, DeKosky defended the Medical School’s ability to attract research funding at last month’s Board meeting. He explained to the Board that funding sources such as the National Institutes of Health had channeled resources into later-stage research as opposed to the kind of basic research the Medical School specializes in.

Roughly 56 percent of the Medical School’s operating budget comes from grants, contracts and recoveries from facilities and administrative costs. The remainder is divided between endowment payoffs, donations, tuition and state funds.

DeKosky’s discussion of the Medical School’s financial viability followed University President Teresa Sullivan’s presentation of the then-recently released U.S. News & World Report college rankings in which the University’s lowest scoring category, at 53, was financial resources. Medical Center Operating Board Committee Chair Edward Miller was not available to comment.

Sullivan praised DeKosky’s accomplishments during his time as dean.

“Steve oversaw significant growth in our medical student class and transformation of our curriculum,” Sullivan said in a University press release. “He maintained research funding during a time of significant decreases in funding nationally, and increased the clinical capacity and access.”

DeKosky has expressed interest in opening the Medical School to more clinical research in line with the National Institutes of Health’s funding priorities. “I hope we continue to move forward as an academic medical center across our mission of education, research and clinical care over the next nine months and beyond,” DeKosky said in a press release.

John Simon, the University’s executive vice president and provost, is expected to appoint an interim dean from within the Medical School to succeed DeKosky at the end of July. He will lead an international search to select the next permanent dean.

Simon said in an email Thursday he and his team will look for someone with “strong leadership and the ability to partner with the health system leadership and work with the various constituencies in the school to further implement the strategic plan.”