Cavaliers challenge scuffling South Carolina

The Virginia swim & dive team hosts its last home meet until January this weekend, as diving welcomes South Carolina Friday and swimming competes in a dual meet against the Gamecocks Saturday.

While Virginia swept its first two opponents easily, South Carolina has floundered against a slate of strong opponents this fall.

The Gamecocks’ women’s swimming team is still searching for its season’s first win after losing lopsided contests against No. 4 Texas A&M, No. 10 North Carolina and No. 11 Florida.

The South Carolina men also fell to the No. 1 Gators team last week and must face another of the nation’s top programs this weekend.

Virginia won the last conference championships and has since garnered one more ACC accolade after its first competition. The conference named junior Rachel Naurath its female swimmer of the week, recognizing her five individual wins during last weekend’s races .

Published November 2, 2012 in Sports

OPINION

• Maintain zero tolerance

The Office of the Dean of Students was right to revoke FOAs for fraternities who conducted hazing activities ...

• WHISNANT: The United States of oligarchy

Because preferences of elites and average voters sometimes line up, the bias of the political process ...

• Get SMART

The SMART Resolution is evidence that student leaders understand the problems of the community and can ...