NEWS

Study finds far-reaching earthquake damage

The United States Geological Survey presented research Tuesday showing an earthquake in the eastern United States can travel much farther than originally thought.

The study used data from last year’s earthquake in Virginia to see how far away the shocks could be felt, USGS scientist Randall Jibson said in a press release. Previous studies have not had access to data from an earthquake of this magnitude — the largest earthquake to occur in more than 100 years in the eastern U.S.

Charlottesville was near the epicenter of the 5.8 magnitude earthquake last August. The study found the farthest landslide from Charlottesville was 150 miles away, but previous studies had shown landslides typically occur no further than 36 miles from the epicenter of a magnitude 5.8 magnitude earthquake.

University buildings are constructed to be able to withstand reasonable amounts of earthquake damage, University Chief Facilities Officer Donald Sundgren said.

But for an earthquake stronger than the one in 2011, “We’ll have to see; we will respond as quickly and effectively as we can,” he said.

Published November 8, 2012 in Grounds, News

• UVa_reader said:

This article should be required reading for faculty and students who rushed to judgment and used the RS article to unleash a torrent of unjustified criticism ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• Julie said:

“It is no secret that sexual assault is under-reported — both on college campuses and in the general population,” she said. Huh? So they decided ...
    on University will administer sexual assault climate survey

• CLAS93 said:

Chased from your home by a mob, subject to death threats, unable to go to class because your own instructors are so blindly biased -- this is U.Va.? We ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• current student said:

I would encourage you to read Mr. Robertson and Mr. Park's proposal (link is below), in which they explicitly mention that the most important part of ...
    on Honor officers propose facilitating single sanction changes

• Gordon Westerly said:

"They put themselves in a dangerous position by clearly hurting someone on a level that remains unclear and all the while operating a fraternity that ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi