Virginia storms this season's top-10 rankings

splapierrejtruong

All four ACC men’s lacrosse teams secured top-10 rankings in both major 2013 preseason polls released in the last several days — the USILA Coaches’ Poll and Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll.

Maryland, the national runner-up in 2011 and 2012, is the highest ranked ACC squad. The Terrapins nabbed the No. 2 ranking in both polls, garnering one-of-12 USILA Coaches’ Poll and two-of-26 first place votes in the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll.

Defending national champion Loyola retained its top spot in both preseason polls. The Greyhounds defeated the Terrapins 9-3 last year to claim the title.

Virginia is the lowest ranked ACC team in both polls, rounding out the conference at No. 7 in the USILA Coaches’ Poll behind No. 4 North Carolina and defending ACC champion No. 6 Duke. Duke ranks fourth in the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll, followed by No. 7 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia.

Each of the four ACC teams have made the NCAA Tournament for six consecutive years, dating back to 2007. The Cavaliers are the last ACC team to win a national championship, defeating Maryland 9-7 in 2011.

North Carolina will kick off the 2013 season by hosting Air Force Friday, Feb. 8 in Chapel Hill at 7 p.m. Virginia’s first game of the season is the following Saturday, as the Cavaliers face off against Drexel at 1 p.m. in Charlottesville.

—compiled by Zack Bartee

Published January 29, 2013 in Sports

OPINION

• Maintain zero tolerance

The Office of the Dean of Students was right to revoke FOAs for fraternities who conducted hazing activities ...

• WHISNANT: The United States of oligarchy

Because preferences of elites and average voters sometimes line up, the bias of the political process ...

• Get SMART

The SMART Resolution is evidence that student leaders understand the problems of the community and can ...