Education School to offer new major fall 2014

Education in youth and social innovation to include multiple service-learning courses

The Board of Visitors approved a B.S. in Education in Youth and Social Innovation Thursday, a new prospective major in the Education School.

According to the proposal submitted to the Board, the new program is designed to equip graduates with a “foundational understanding of youth development and the social and cultural challenges that impact youth trajectory,” as well as a “conceptual and practical skill-building experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of programs and policy designed to address these challenges.”

Education School Prof. Winx Lawrence, who will likely head the new program, said the new degree program would be especially beneficial to students considering work with organizations such as the Peace Corps, Teach for America, Americorps, Big Brothers Big Sisters and the Boys and Girls Club.

“[Students who] have an interest in working with youth, who would like to focus their education on learning theory and research related to youth development in the social and cultural environment [should consider the program],” she said. “The students graduating from the Youth and Social Innovation will be prepared to provide leadership, policy support, management and evaluation services to youth-focused organizations.”

The program includes multiple service-learning courses centered on youth development, and has already been approved by the Curry Faculty Council, the Faculty Senate, the provost and the president. Following last Thursday’s Board approval, the program now awaits approval by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.

If approved, the program will begin in the fall of 2014. It is currently looking for first- or second-year students who have not yet declared their majors to complete a survey indicating their interest.