Cavaliers knock out Irish, 68-53

Brogdon leads team in points, rebounds, assists, steals

spmbballbrogdonpdickie

In the opening 15 minutes of its first ACC matchup with Notre Dame, the Virginia men’s basketball team led by as many as 20 points. The Cavaliers withstood a 12-2 Irish run to end the half, blowing past the conference newcomers, 68-53.

The win marks Virginia’s (16-5, 7-1 ACC) best start in the conference since the 1982-83 season. Redshirt sophomore guard Malcolm Brogdon — who has scored in double figures in every ACC game this season — led Virginia in scoring for the third game in a row, with 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting, including 2-of-3 from long range. Brogdon also led the Cavaliers with seven rebounds, six assists and a career-high five steals.

Sophomore forward Mike Tobey also shot 7-of-10 from the floor, scoring 14 points on the night, while freshman point guard London Perrantes continued his stellar play, recording five assists without a turnover, as well as two steals.

Notre Dame (11-10, 2-6 ACC) had trouble controlling the ball early and finished the game with a season-high 20 turnovers. Sophomore forward Zach Auguste led the Irish with 10 points, seven rebounds and four steals, while freshman guard Demetrius Jackson also scored a team-high 10 points off the bench.

The Irish are 3-6 since losing senior guard and leading scorer Jerian Grant to an academic issue.

The Cavaliers return to the court Sunday in Pittsburgh, Pa. to take on another former Big East team in the No. 18 Panthers. Tip-off is set for 12:30 p.m.

Published January 28, 2014 in FP test, Sports

OPINION

• Of body and mind

As human beings, there is no reason to treat people with mental health disorders differently than we ...

• EMERY: We’re all in this together

Mental health issues also affect college students who are comfortable with who they are, who cope well ...

• AHMED: ADAPTing to college life

The most worthy part of ADAPT’s mission, in my eyes, is one of social norms. We have the ability to ...