Major good reads

A&E presents a summer book list categorized by major

Looking for a good book to read this summer? Take a gander at the list below, which matches excellent summer books with college majors. Find your major and see which book is recommended for you!

Biology: “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skloot. This book tells the true story about a woman whose cells have been used for various medical developments, like the polio vaccine, yet her identity has remained virtually unknown for years. The book, a long-standing New York Times bestseller, is also being turned into an HBO film by Oprah Winfrey. Why not read it now to get ahead of the game?

English: “David Copperfield” by Charles Dickens. For all those English majors currently enrolled in ENGL 3820, you know this book comes highly recommended by Prof. Michael Levenson himself.

Anthropology: “The Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World” by Wade Davis. A stunning account by anthropologist Wade Davis about what it means to be human, and answering that question by looking back to ancient civilizations. This book celebrates the importance of diverse cultures and asks how to preserve them.

Sociology: “Outliers: The Story of Success” by Malcolm Gladwell. A respected author with many well-known titles among college students, Gladwell asks in his book what makes successful people, well, successful.

Psychology AND Music: “Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain” by Oliver Sacks. Oliver Sacks is a world-famous neurologist whose books have become some of the most popular texts in psychology literature. This book combines case studies of people suffering from neurological disorders and how the power of music has affected their conditions. An inspiring, moving book.

History: “The Devil in the White City” by Erik Larson. This book of historical research and powerful narrative focuses on the story of a serial killer lurking in the shadows of the 1893 World Fair in Chicago. For those who enjoy nail-biting thrillers.

Media Studies: “DisneyWar” by James B. Stewart. An incredibly entertaining account of the rise and fall of Michael Eisner, once the Disney Company’s CEO, and the civil war within the walls of the company that erupted around him. Delicious reading for scandals, corruption and gossiping from the company who brought you “The Lion King” and “Frozen.”

Politics: “All the President’s Men” by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward. The staple non-fiction book surrounding the Watergate scandal is written by the reporters themselves who unraveled the corruption behind Nixon’s administration. This book contains complex plots and multitudes of players but reads like a breeze.

Summer reading shouldn’t feel like a chore; while you have three months to relax, take a break from Netflix, go outside and get your tan on while exploring a topic that interests you! I promise you won’t be disappointed.