2015 Final Exercise dates set

College students to graduate Saturday, all other schools Sunday

<p>The University held its 185th Final Exercises ceremony May 18. Navy Secretary Ray Mabus gave the graduation speech to the more than 6,000 graduating students in an event that brought a total of more than 30,000 people to Grounds.</p>

The University held its 185th Final Exercises ceremony May 18. Navy Secretary Ray Mabus gave the graduation speech to the more than 6,000 graduating students in an event that brought a total of more than 30,000 people to Grounds.

Details regarding 2015 Final Exercises were announced in an email sent Friday to the Class of 2015 by Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer Patricia Lampkin. There will be two Final Exercises ceremonies, with graduate and undergraduate College students scheduled to walk the Lawn Saturday, May 16 and students enrolled in all other schools scheduled to walk Sunday, May 17.

The schedule was finalized by University President Teresa Sullivan and Provost John Simon after considering both responses to a student survey and attendance estimates for each day.

“Consistent with the results of the survey, starting in 2015 there will be two Final Exercises ceremonies,” Lampkin said in an email. “Both ceremonies will be at 10 a.m.”

Valedictory exercises, the Donning of the Kente ceremony and Joint Commissioning Exercises for Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force candidates have been moved to Friday, May 15 to avoid scheduling conflicts with Final Exercises and diploma ceremonies.

Diploma ceremonies, hosted by individual schools and departments, are scheduled for the same day as their respective schools’ Final Exercises ceremony.

“The more than 40 diploma ceremonies for [the College] will be on Saturday,” Lampkin said in the email.

According to the Office of Major Events website, a detailed schedule will be posted once it is confirmed, as well as information about 2015 Valedictory and Final Exercises speakers.

The University Conference Services, which offers guests access to on-Grounds housing during graduation, will begin accepting reservations made by graduating students for the Class of 2015’s Finals Weekend on Sept. 2.