Fill your inbox, lose your mind

Overdoing, underachieving and finding the Goldilocks of commitment

If you are a University student and you are reading this column, congratulations.

You have free time. Don’t feel embarrassed or guilty. You don’t want to ruin these few moments — or several, if you’re doing it right — of downtime allotted to yourself at various points across the day. Rather, relish your freedom — whether it be from attention-demanding class, homework, meetings or a job.

No, don’t feel worried. Contrary to popular belief, having time to yourself does not signify laziness, but simply an aversion to what I’ll refer to as “life-loading” — the packing of superfluous commitments into a schedule at the expense of productivity or even sanity.

Amid our university’s high-strung culture, students often display their overloaded calendars like a badge. Self-pitying, yet attention-grabbing proclamations ring clear across Grounds: “Oh, I’d love to hang out this afternoon, but my six classes, internships, clubs of which I’m President and the 18 homeless people I’ve recently taken in are kind of occupying the majority of my time. Maybe next week.”

Inevitably, we must ask ourselves if this overloading is worth it.

For all the first-years currently enrolled in their first economics class, here’s a practice problem: at what point does the marginal utility of adding one additional commitment prove to be less valuable than the utility brought about by having the extra hour or two a week to collect your thoughts?

There is a multi-layered explanation underlying this issue which challenges so many of us. Many students find solace in labeling those with loaded planners as “overachievers” or “perfectionists.” And for some, such labels may prove accurate. But there’s no reason we should group all students into these categories.

Instead, looking at many busy students bustling from blocked-off timeslot to timeslot, it appears the majority enjoy living in such a way. Certainly, students enjoy the individual activities themselves. Students volunteering with Madison House undoubtedly enjoy the work they do, bringing help to those in need. When students join a club, they typically do so because they believe in the mission of that organization — or, at the very least, they believe they will have fun meeting friends and participating in the activities.

But there’s another layer of utility for life-loading students. As crazy as it sounds, it seems many goal-driven individuals at this school not only enjoy the activities in which they participate, but enjoy the extreme quantity as well. Many take solace in the feeling of meticulously structured schedules, with little room for freedom and deviation from the plan of the day. Knowing a UJC meeting follows a discussion and will lead directly into a two-hour slot to complete homework helps students gain a (potentially artificial) feeling of accomplishment. It’s as if being able to claim participation in a bulk of activities is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Unfortunately, despite the pleasure and potential peace of mind this lifestyle brings, it may not be — and in fact, most likely is not — the most productive, healthy or pleasurable way to live one’s life. I, like many other students, am guilty of squeezing my way through the sweaty hoard of the activities fair, convincing myself to sign up for club after club.

Sure, we tell ourselves: one additional three-hour commitment a week won’t kill me. In reality, it should bolster my ability to concentrate on my studies.

I’m afraid there exists a breaking point, though. At said point — no matter how much a club or leadership position or even an extra class can provide pleasure or a better perspective on life in isolation — the benefits of an activity, when thrown into an insanely life-loaded schedule, may dissipate.

With that club’s inclusion, one loses time to oneself. Time in which one can relax, breathe and have conversations with friends — conversations in which eyes remain engaged rather than constantly glancing at a watch or phone. One can be more present with fewer places to be present. And as a result, the activities left on the schedule will receive additional vigor and attention from the minimally life-loaded participant — the master not of the schedule, but of balancing commitments and free time.

Aidan’s column runs biweekly Fridays. He can be reached at a.cochrane@cavalierdaily.com.