New EP from Kate Voegele shows maturity

The “One Tree Hill” begins tour in Charlottesville

She got her start on MySpace, had the chance to tour with the likes of John Mayer and became a series regular on the hit teenage drama “One Tree Hill.” Edgy yet sweet, with a signature alternative-pop sound, Kate Voegele has a diverse and dedicated fanbase. After a three-year hiatus, Voegele will release her new EP, “Wild Card,” this week before kicking off her 2014 tour with a stop in Charlottesville Wednesday at The Southern.

“I basically needed to regain creative control of my career, and I wanted to give myself time to sonically soul search,” Voegele said of her break from the music scene. “I traveled like crazy, wrote hundreds of songs, and moved my home base from LA to Nashville,”

After a period of soul searching, Voegele said her music has evolved.

“More than anything I've become much more comfortable with raw honesty and vulnerability, and I felt like this batch of songs was a good introduction to that,”  she said. “I also wanted to have a little diversity sonically, so there's a nice mix of up-tempo, driving beats and softer, more atmospheric elements.”

Her EP’s first offering, “Just Watch Me,” lives up to her new vision, showcasing a commitment to experimenting with new styles.

“In general, I've just gotten a lot bolder as a writer and I'm much more unafraid to take risks in the arrangements and the lyrics now, which I love,” Voegele said.

Most fans learned of her music from featured tracks on “One Tree Hill,” an experience she said she values to this day.

“It was an amazing loudspeaker for my music and was huge for me as a musician, but it was also just an awesome time of personal growth and new friendships,” she said.

Voegele recently attended the CW show’s cast reunion in Paris.

“We had a big group dinner and went out afterward, and I probably laughed harder than I have in a long time,” she said.

As she prepares for her Charlottesville show, Voegele said she has a long-standing connection to the down — her husband was a University lacrosse player.

“He's given me a great tour of the town a few times,” she said. “I love the quaint character of the town; it's so picturesque.”

That familiarity will only ensure Voegele fully embraces her bold style Wednesday, as fans can rest assured the artist has a few wild cards up her sleeve for the performance.