Provost's office hosts passport drive

Event part of International Education Week

As a part of International Education Week, the Provost's office sponsored a Passport Drive in Newcomb Ballroom Tuesday, and it will return for a second day Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This is the second year the event has been featured on Grounds.

IEW marks a week-long celebration of foreign languages, studying abroad, international volunteer work and other global themes. The U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Education first recognized the week in 2000, in hopes of encouraging students to participate in international programs and services.

Officials from the State Department will accept and renew passport applications in addition to answering questions about the passport process.

Cliff Maxwell, co-chair of the U.Va. Passport Drive and assistant to the vice provost for international programs, said the event simplifies what is normally a more arduous task.

“This passport drive makes it easy,” he said. “It’s literally minutes.”

Marc Paulo Queliza Guzman, University coordinator for Asian and Asian Pacific Services and Programs, said obtaining a passport is the first step in studying or volunteering abroad.

“I think it's great we're offering this service because some people perceive getting a passport as something that's so difficult,” he said. “This way, we can bring the process to Grounds and people can apply for one without having to leave U.Va. It allows U.Va. community members the possibility for international travel, and for those who are renewing their passport, allows the continual of global exploration.”

Last year, 350 people were issued passports at the Passport Drive, though turnout has been lower so far this year.

Maxwell encouraged all students to obtain a passport, emphasizing the importance of exploring through both leisurely travel and study abroad.

Several faculty members and their families also participated in the event.

IEW kicked off with the Global Expo and the International Tea Festival last Saturday. A Global Careers and Alumni Panel, Innovation for Global Good with Rick Hamilton, Career and Global Grounds Office Hours, Global Grounds Scavenger Hunt, and other similar events are planned for throughout the week.