Ed Helms selected as 2015 Valediction speaker

Diverse pursuits, relatability prompted choice

The University announced last week the Fourth Year Trustees had secured actor, writer and comedian Ed Helms as the speaker for the Class of 2015 Valedictory Exercises on May 15.

Graduation Committee chair and fourth-year Engineering student Danielle Ager said she felt it was important the process was collaborative in order to ensure the person chosen embodies qualities important to the class.

“All of the trustees, as representatives of the Class of 2015, have the opportunity to provide input on what they think our class needs in a Valediction speaker,” Ager said. “This includes what they think our class will enjoy, what qualities they think are most important in a speaker and ultimately what type of message will resonate best with our class as we prepare to leave our undergraduate time.”

Ager said all of the characteristics the Committee wanted in a speaker led them to consider Helms as their primary choice due to his relatability and popularity. Helms is best known for playing Stuart Price in the “Hangover” trilogy, as well as Cornell graduate and a cappella singer Andy Bernard on “The Office.”

Ager said Helms’ many accomplishments in numerous areas — including writing, music and arts education — will encourage the graduating class to pursue any field they choose.

“Beyond his screen credits though, Helms' diverse pursuits — ranging from starting his own production company to advocating for the arts [with] Education through Music-Los Angeles to playing a mean banjo in his band, The Lonesome Trio — shows how dedicated and driven Helms is to everything he commits himself to,” Ager said. “[It is] something we think our entire class can appreciate and learn from.”

Final Exercises will occur on Saturday, May 16 and Sunday, May 17 for the College and the University’s 10 other schools respectively.