Our endorsement for the University Judiciary Committee

The managing board endorses Austin and Mason, and hopes for more student engagement in this election

While there are four candidates running for three positions as representatives for the College of Arts and Sciences, only three candidates chose to interview with us. We were enthusiastic about our interviews with Mackenzie Austin and Jahvonta Mason, both third-year students.

Austin’s extensive experience in UJC as a counselor for the past three years makes her an obvious candidate, but her ideas make her an obvious choice. She has an interest in broadening the reach of the Committee beyond just educating first-years by partnering with student organizations. She hopes to expand what education consists of by encompassing elements of the Standards of Conduct beyond just those pertaining to drinking and wants to increase UJC’s visibility. Since this is our school’s primary adjudicative system — though Honor is discussed more — increased visibility for the organization is crucial. We are confident Austin has the experience, poise and initiative to take on this role.

Mason has no prior experience in UJC, but as a member of the Sexual Misconduct Board impressed us with his knowledge of the relationship between both systems and his desire to bridge the gap in communication between the two groups. Like Austin, he hopes to increase UJC’s visibility and make it an organization students can turn to when in need of mediation by increasing outreach and making sure students understand how the adjudicative process works. Both Mason and Austin stressed UJC is not a punitive system but rather an educational one — something they believe the student body misunderstands.

Zack Peak, a third-year student, also interviewed with us. We were pleased with his commitment to diversity and interest in revamping general body meetings but, when pressed, felt his answers lacked the obvious initiative present in the other two candidates’ interviews.

Caitlin Cosby, another third-year student running, chose not to interview with us. Because of this, we cannot comment on her qualifications.

We are pleased UJC elections are contested in the College this year, but still worry that student engagement with UJC is lacking. Austin and Mason will prove excellent at engaging the community, but we hope this effort will extend beyond simply the College. In the Commerce school, there are two students running for two spots, which is also true of the Engineering school. For Nursing and Batten, only one student is running in each school, while there are two representatives allocated to each school. UJC is arguably the most influential adjudicative body on student life, yet receives the least attention. Over the next year, UJC representatives should increase efforts to keep this organization in the school spotlight.