​GORMAN: In defense of Model UN

Model United Nations programs are far from pointless

Last weekend, the University hosted the Virginia International Crisis Simulation, a Model United Nations conference that brought in college students from across the country in order to simulate an assortment of international dilemmas, both historical and contemporary. Students often question the purpose of Model UN, as from the outside it is frequently perceived as a “nerdy” game that does little other than allow students to discuss issues without making any real difference in the world. In fact, some critics even go so far as to label the entire construct of these simulations as entirely worthless. But is Model UN really as pointless as students on the outside perceive it to be?

Above all, Model UN is a uniquely competitive learning experience. According to a study conducted by ChanJin Chung on competition in learning environments, students in antagonistic educational situations have “a sense of ownership for their own learning [and]. . . spent more time on the problems than traditional assignments.” Model UN delegates are incentivized to succeed in their simulations by the prospect of attaining the “Best Delegate” award at the end of each conference; as a result — especially at college conferences — many delegates enter their simulations having performed extensive research on the topic at hand, and, in general, the more informed students are on specific issues the more successful they are in their respective committees.

Driven by this desire to “win” in their committees, students engage in debates that are highly educational in nature, reinforcing information on complex world issues in a fashion that trumps traditional classroom assignments. An extensive evaluation of the Urban Debate League in New York City found that this style of learning through debate and problem solving has incredible perks for students across a variety of different personal characteristics, including academic performance, communication, creativity and self-concept.

Furthermore, by its very nature Model UN is a vastly effective vehicle for enhancing students’ networking and social skills. Students are practically obligated to make friends within their committees, as the passage of resolutions — sometimes referred to as “directives” — requires building alliances with other delegates who will vote in favor of their specific ideas. These alliances often evolve into friendships outside of the committee room; students leave conferences having attained friends and connections from institutions across the country.

Networking as a skill is incredibly valuable in modern society, in which being well-connected is practically essential in order to attain a high-profile job. In an article published by the Harvard Business Review, Brian Uzzi and Shannon Dunlap argue that “networks deliver three unique advantages: private information, access to diverse skill sets and power.” They prove in their publication that creating diverse rather than "self-similar" network contacts through collective high-stakes activities builds a more powerful network in the long run. By bringing in students from all stretches of the globe to debate an infinitely expanding array of historical and contemporary issues, Model UN breeds the exact style of diverse networks of which the two authors argue in support.

From an entirely different — and fundamentally ungrounded — standpoint, critics of Model UN often argue that these simulations are deconstructive because the United Nations itself is a pointless institution. An argument can certainly be made that the bureaucratic discourse of the United Nations, like that of most governing bodies, is not as successful as it could be in initiating global reform; however, not only does this argument fail to recognize the numerous diplomatic successes of the United Nations since its inception, it also fails to realize that the discourse of the United Nations is entirely separate from the true intention of Model UN: to foster a competitive and highly intellectual learning environment.

Even if Model UN does not directly impact international policy, it certainly breeds students who are inherently captivated by and informed about the functions of global politics; furthermore, these students are trained by their unique environments to internalize the professionalism and diplomacy that are essential for jobs in practically every career field in the real world. Through engaging in highly intellectual debate, Model UN delegates step into the shoes of some of the most powerful leaders in the world during the most impactful crises throughout history, and they develop skills in the span of merely a weekend that will stick with them in their endeavors for the rest of their lives.

Ryan Gorman is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at r.gorman@cavalierdaily.com.