University prof. Barry Johnson will serve as new NSF division director

Will return to teaching after four years

<p>University Engineering Prof. Barry Johnson will serve as the National Science Foundation's director of the Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships of the Directorate for Engineering.</p>

University Engineering Prof. Barry Johnson will serve as the National Science Foundation's director of the Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships of the Directorate for Engineering.

University Engineering Prof. Barry Johnson has accepted a position at the National Science Foundation as the new director of the Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships of the Directorate for Engineering.

Johnson, who has been working at the University since 1984 when he was hired as an assistant professor after working for the Harris Corporation, became a University senior associate dean and associate dean of research in 2006.

University President Teresa Sullivan said Johnson’s contributions to the University have been significant.

“Barry has made significant contributions at U.Va. that will have an enduring impact on our University and the commonwealth of Virginia,” Sullivan said. “He has developed many other strategic opportunities that have added strength to the Engineering School and other parts of the University.”

Johnson will remain a University faculty professor during his time serving as a NSF director, a position which is a part of the Intergovernmental Personnel Act. He will work at the NSF as a director for up to four years, after which he will return to the University.

As director of the Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships, Johnson said he will be responsible for overseeing the funding programs for partnerships between universities and industries, as well as funding the research programs of small businesses.

“We’re focused on filling that gap between upper level research that occurs at the university and is heavily sponsored by NSF and commercialization,” Johnson said. “We support industry-university partnerships, we support small businesses.”

There are several programs within Johnson’s division, all of which are focused on technology innovations. Johnson said the programs are tasked with taking the ideas that come out of the National Science Foundation’s fundamental research program and translating them into commercialization.

“The programs are grant giving programs,” Johnson said. “We provide grants to universities and companies to conduct research that leads to commercial results.”

Pramod Khargonekar, assistant director for engineering at the NSF, said Johnson’s division is important in the partnership of public-private innovation.

“Dr. Johnson has extensive experience in both of these areas, as well as in fundamental engineering research and entrepreneurship,” Khargonekar said.

Johnson’s prior experience includes his roles in the founding of the Commonwealth Center for Advance Manufacturing and the Commonwealth Center for Advanced Logistics Systems. At the University, Johnson is charged with oversight of the Rolls-Royce Strategic Partnership and the Engineering School’s participation in the program.

“[Johnson’s] leadership at the University of Virginia demonstrated his exceptional ability to connect fundamental research with industrial innovation,” Khargonekar said. “I look forward to his contributions to NSF and our nation.”

Even though Johnson will be a part of both the University and the NSF, he doesn’t foresee any challenges in balancing the two roles. Johnson said the only potential challenge is avoiding any conflicts of interest.

“If a proposal from the University were to come into my division for consideration, then I would completely recuse myself from any activity associated with the review of that proposal,” Johnson said. “U.Va. actually has existing grants from my division, so I completely recuse myself from any discussion around those as well.”

Because of his past experience with the University and his own start-up company, Johnson said that he believes he can bring new experience and viewpoints to the NSF. He also said he hopes that he will be able to bring new ideas back to the University after his four years.

“I’m excited about this opportunity, I think it’s something that will be hopefully very beneficial to both the National Science Foundation and the University of Virginia,” Johnson said.