​PATEL: A great tradition under fire

Birthright citizenship is a cornerstone of the American experiment

Of recent controversies surrounding the Republican presidential primary, one in particular stands out as particularly troublesome: the debate regarding birthright citizenship. Multiple candidates have argued birthright citizenship is being abused to the point where it should be done away with. Rather than celebrating the complex relationship between hardworking and undervalued illegal immigrants, these candidates would seek to take away hope for a better future for illegal immigrants and their children by removing birthright citizenship.

One such candidate is real estate mogul Donald Trump, who has called birthright citizenship “the biggest magnet for illegal immigration.” His opinion is shared by Sen. Rand Paul, former Sen. Rick Santorum, neurosurgeon Ben Carson, Sen. Lindsey Graham, Gov. Chris Christie and Gov. Bobby Jindal. Those who do not definitively support ending birthright citizenship are Sen. Marco Rubio, former Gov. Jeb Bush, former Gov. George Pataki, businesswoman Carly Fiorina, Gov. Scott Walker and Gov. John Kasich. Former Gov. Rick Perry’s position on the issue remains unclear.

While they may seem evenly matched, according to a Reuters poll those declared in favor are polling at around 30 percent of the total while those declared against birthright citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants aggregate to around 50 percent of the vote. This startling statistic shows this brand of xenophobia is no longer exclusive to the fringe of the GOP.

The backlash against birthright citizenship for all demonstrates a resurgence of xenophobia that is startling to many. Birthright citizenship for all people is one of the great things about America, not a detriment. Birthright citizenship reflects the notion that it doesn’t take family or power or even money to be American and this idea is central to the psyche of all immigrants, whether illegal or legal. Our unique tradition demonstrates that America is for everyone, not just those who already have relatives here or those who have special skills or a job lined up.

According to the guidelines for permanent residence eligibility, three categories of people are given the highest likelihood for admittance into the United States. These are people with family that are already citizens of the United States, people who are brought in as qualified workers in high-end fields and those who came into the States as refugees. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services website itself states most immigrants belong in the first two major categories.

These guidelines reveal a gaping hole in the spectrum of people we allow to immigrate to our country. Obviously missing from contention for a green card is the vast majority of the world. Where is the route for the poor, the sick and the hungry to have a chance at winning the international lottery that is immigrating to the United States? Illegal immigration is the only route the downtrodden have to get here, and to take away that route is to crush all hope. Written on the Statue of Liberty is a poem with the famous directive to “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, the tempest-tost to me.”

Yet these are the very people we exclude from those we take in. As a result, many are forced to enter the United States illegally or overstay their visas because they have no family, have learned no skills and have no other option. To vilify an already downtrodden group is wrong. Donald Trump says, “They’re not sending us their finest people. . . . We have drug dealers coming across. . . . rapists. . . . murderers. . . . do you think they’re going to send us their best people, their finest people? The answer is no.”

These are the people who need America, and America needs these people. Industries such as dairy and meat rely heavily on immigrants as the only ones willing to do the hard work and work the long hours required in those industries. It is estimated that two-thirds of U.S. dairy production is based on immigrant labor, of which a large percentage are illegal. It is not just meat and dairy but also the fruit and vegetable industries that are reliant on the labor of illegal immigrants. It is disgraceful that people who are so integral to putting food on our tables are so vilified as unproductive members of our society.

The debate about ending birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants sends the wrong message to those downtrodden peoples who view America as a beacon of hope.

Sawan Patel is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at s.patel@cavalierdaily.com.