Possible large-scale wind power plant in Virginia stirs controversy

Charlottesville company tests Botetourt location, county faces local lawsuit

A Charlottesville-based company constructed two test towers in Botetourt County to explore the possibly of a large-scale wind power plant in the area.

Apex Clean Energy’s test towers will gather information about wind in the area, and be used to determine whether Apex will install 25 wind turbines on private property that has been procured for the plant. The wind power from the plant could be used to power around 20,000 homes.

The initiative, called Rocky Forge Wind, has been met with criticism from local residents. Eight residents filed a lawsuit against Botetourt County this summer in response to an ordinance allowing the construction of wind turbines under a set of regulations designed by the county.

The ordinance allows construction of wind turbines so long as they are less than 550 feet tall and emit noise no louder than 60 decibels from the nearest property line.

The lead plaintiffs in the case, Raymond and Faye Hundley, own land which borders the property of the intended site of the wind plant. They are concerned the regulations may not be strong enough to prohibit a disturbance caused by the plant, according to the lawsuit.

“Low frequency noise is a vibrational noise that penetrates structures, causes disorientation and sleep disturbances which lead to secondary detrimental health impacts,” the lawsuit states.

Some of the concerns set forth in the lawsuit, such as ice build up and bird population decrease, are not as serious as they may sound, said University Prof. Phoebe Chrisman, who studies the environment and sustainability within U.Va.'s Global Studies program.

“It is true that ice does build up, but unless you are located underneath it, it is not posing a threat,” Crisman said. “More birds fly into the windshields of cars each year than are killed by wind turbines.”

Regardless of local criticism, Virginia may not be the best location for a project of this size, as mountains to the west may shelter the area from wind, Chrisman said. The Rocky Forge Wind project would be the first large scale wind plant in Virginia.

“I think in general it’s a good idea. There are no commercial wind farms in Virginia,” Crisman said. “This would be a first for the state, which is exciting.”

Lia Cattaneo, co-chair of the Student Council sustainability committee and fourth year Engineering student, said she supports the development of wind projects in Virginia.

Although Virginia is not an ideal wind state, there are many ways to incorporate wind power on a smaller scale, including raising awareness about the benefits of wind power and thinking outside the box about how we can use renewables and resources at the University, Cattaneo said.

“U.Va. doesn’t just have land on grounds; we have a lot of land off grounds, which actually may be more suited to do wind projects,” Cattaneo said.

Before the Rocky Forge Wind project can progress, information gathered by the test towers will be analyzed to determine the efficiency of the project.

“Our goal was to establish an ordinance that would facilitate private development of wind energy projects while at the same time protecting the citizens of Botetourt County,” county spokesman Cody Sexton said. “We wish any development project success, and with it [The Rocky Forge Wind project] being a private venture, they [Apex] will determine if they will move forward.”