Late touchdown stuns Virginia

Slow start dooms Cavaliers as No. 9 Notre Dame wins 34-27

The stage appeared set for the upset. Virginia climbed back from a 26-14 deficit to gain a precarious grasp on a 27-26 lead with less than two minutes in the game. One minute and 42 seconds later, No. 9 Notre Dame dashed the Cavaliers’ hopes with a go-ahead touchdown with 12 seconds remaining in yet another moral-victory game for Virginia.

“What a tough way to lose a football game,” coach Mike London said. “I’m proud of this team and the effort they displayed.”

Virginia spent the entire first quarter in neutral and was nearly buried for it. The Cavaliers tallied only 28 yards of offense in the first 15 minutes and saw Notre Dame stake claim to a 12-0 advantage.

The Cavalier defense opened the game with five down linemen and immediately put pressure on junior quarterback Malik Zaire. Zaire’s first pass attempt would sail out of bounds, but the Fighting Irish would lean on senior running back C.J. Prosise in the quarter.

The Woodberry Forest alum carried the ball seven times for 64 yards against a defensive front that could not plug in running gaps.

As easily as Notre Dame’s offense moved the ball in the opening quarter — the Fighting Irish had 113 yards — the team struggled when it mattered most, going 0-3 on third down and kicking two field goals.

The Cavaliers’ defense would finish the game perfect on third down — stopping the Fighting Irish on third down 10 times.

The Cavaliers’ offense found its footing on the final play of that first quarter. Junior Matt Johns hit senior Canaan Severin for 16 yards and Virginia’s first first down of the game.

Virginia rode the momentum of that first down all the way into the end zone. Johns kept the drive alive with an 18-yard pass to Severin and followed with a 38-yard bomb to Severin to the Notre Dame four-yard line. Facing another third down, Johns found redshirt freshman Evan Butts on a timing route for six points.

The Cavaliers’ defense continued the trend of bending but not breaking on the ensuing Notre Dame possession. The Fighting Irish covered over 50 yards on the ground before Virginia firmed up and stuffed three straight rushes by Zaire and Prosise to force the turnover on downs.

After regaining possession, the Cavaliers marched 75 yards on seven plays for their second touchdown of the game. The scoring play came by way of a 42-yard pass to junior Keeon Johnson. On that play, Virginia came out in the wildcat with Johns lined up wide. Junior Albert Reid took the snap and tossed to Mizzell, who then pitched the ball to Johns.

The Cavaliers accrued only 33 rushing yards in the first half. Despite no semblance of a running game, Johns completed 12 of 14 passes for 159 yards and two touchdowns.

Virginia exited the locker room as cold as it was to start the game. In the third quarter, the Fighting Irish scored 14 unanswered to put the Cavaliers in another 12-point hole.

In the quarter, Notre Dame scored on a 59-yard touchdown pass by Zaire and a 24-yard rush by Prosise.

Virginia never solved the Fighting Irish running game. Prosise finished with 155 yards and Zaire chipped in 87.

Johns and the offense manufactured two touchdown drives to regain the lead in the final quarter. Johns carried the ball for a four-yard touchdown early in the quarter, then Reid punched the ball in to give Virginia the one-point lead with 1:54 remaining.

The Cavaliers’ signal caller went 26-for-38 with 289 yards and two touchdowns.

“It was nice to see Matt let it go and play the way he’s capable of,” senior offensive lineman Ross Burbank said.

Notre Dame put together a brilliant two-minute drill to score the game-winning touchdown. Without Zaire, who exited in the late third with a broken ankle, Notre Dame marched 80 yards on eight plays and capped the drive with a 39-yard touchdown pass from sophomore DeShone Kizer to junior Will Fuller.

“Probably a miscommunication in coverage,” London said. “Great play for them.”

The Cavaliers appeared to solve their running woes in the game’s final quarter. Mizzell ended the game with 66 yards on 18 carries. Freshman Olamide Zaccheaus rushed for 39 yards and Reid gained 23.

Undoubtedly, Virginia deserves credit for staying with Notre Dame, but the Cavaliers want to turn credit into wins.

“That game is done — it’s behind us,” Burbank said. “There are no moral victories or pats on the back for playing well.”

The Cavaliers will return to Scott Stadium Saturday afternoon looking for their first victory. Their opponent will be William & Mary.