Darden School ranked No. 2 in ranking of business schools

Rise in world rankings will attract prospective students, Darden dean says

The University’s Darden School of Business was recently rated No. 2 in The Economist’s rankings of the top MBA programs in the world.

In past years, the Darden School has been ranked in the top five best MBA programs, but the No. 2 ranking is the highest thus far. The Darden School beat both the business schools at Harvard and Dartmouth, and was second only to University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business.

The Economist’s rankings are based primarily on quantitative data such as graduates’ salaries and student test scores, but also takes into account student surveys about the quality of education and faculty, said Dean Peter Rodriguez, associate dean of Darden.

In addition to a second-place ranking in overall quality of the program, Darden was ranked first in “educational experience.”

“The educational experience ranking looks at the student rating of the program and range of electives, range of and access to overseas exchange opportunities, and student assessment of facilities and other services,” Rodriguez said.

The newly released rankings were an important accomplishment for the program, but they didn’t come entirely as a surprise, Rodriguez said, as the school usually expects a top five ranking. The second-place spot, however, was a significant achievement.

This recognition on a global scale not only validates Darden’s academic quality, but also increases its global recognition. Rodriguez said being recognized by a magazine like The Economist will influence prospective students worldwide.

“One of my favorite things about it is [that] it’s a global publication,” Rodriguez said. “Many people who have not heard of Darden before will now take us more seriously,” he said.