“The Muppets” matures

New twist on childhood favorite shows potential

The premiere of the new television show, “The Muppets,” sets a clear tone for the rest of the series: these are not the same Muppets from your childhood.

Within the first three minutes, one of the debut episode’s more mature jokes implies a sexual gesture. Fortunately, the use of this humor early-on grants parents, who may have been watching the episode with their young children, the ability to determine whether the show is too mature for their children.

That being said, the show is quite funny. The jokes are well-spaced throughout the show and perfectly utilize the Muppets as animals. Very brief moments in the show, such as the break-up between Kermit and Miss Piggy, take a more serious turn that humanizes the characters. The break-up scene illustrates a very believable separation between two characters, in which Kermit airs his grievances with Miss Piggy while she dismisses them.

Some audiences will certainly not enjoy “The Muppets” due to the perceived corruption of a classic children’s franchise. However, the show — and its humor — play out no differently than advertised and is certainly worth a watch. If “The Muppets” has any chance of becoming a great television series like those it seems to emulate — “The Office,” “Modern Family,” etc. — it will need to increase the complexity of it characters while maintaining the comedic chops it has illustrated in its first episode.