U.Va. prof. consults for award-winning film about Nat Turner

Kelley Deetz helps ensure accuracy of "The Birth of a Nation"

<p>“Many Americans are confused about the current racial climate, and films like Birth of a Nation will stimulate deep conversations about our Nation’s wounds and how they resonate in 2016,”&nbsp;Deetz said.&nbsp;</p>

“Many Americans are confused about the current racial climate, and films like Birth of a Nation will stimulate deep conversations about our Nation’s wounds and how they resonate in 2016,” Deetz said. 

Kelley Deetz, research associate for the President’s Commission on Slavery and the University, played a role in ensuring the accuracy of the recently released award-winning film, “The Birth of a Nation.”

The film, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival Jan. 25, won the U.S. Grand Jury and U.S. Audience awards for dramatic films at the festival.

As a scholar of the material culture of slavery, Deetz served as a consultant to help design the slave quarter sets used in the picture.

Inspired by true events, the film tells the story of Nat Turner, a Virginia slave who led a liberation movement in 1831 which resulted in violent conflict. Deetz praised director, writer, and actor Nate Parker’s intentions for the film.

“[The film] isn’t worried about Hollywood, or viewer ratings — it is a sobering look into the life of a highly controversial man,” Deetz said in an email statement.

The film held back nothing and was distinguished from fictional stories crafted for shock value, Deetz said.

“‘Birth of a Nation’ is a well-researched and executed film that leaves no one feeling ambivalent about slavery or the humanity of Nat Turner,” she said.

Describing herself and Parker as activists who are dedicated to generating “honest and raw conversations about race in America,” Deetz said the film is making an appearance at the perfect time.

“Many Americans are confused about the current racial climate, and films like Birth of a Nation will stimulate deep conversations about our Nation’s wounds and how they resonate in 2016,” she said.

In addition to her work on The Birth of a Nation, Deetz is involved with Parker as a co-producer in creating a documentary about Nat Turner. Going forward, the two also have plans to work together on several more films related to people of African descent throughout the African Diaspora, Deetz said.