University cancels classes for snow, modifies service schedules

Day off helps everyone “take a breather," Moran says

<p>Second-year College student Bridget Moran said the snow day is useful in relieving stress.</p>

Second-year College student Bridget Moran said the snow day is useful in relieving stress.

The University cancelled classes Monday after an overnight storm covered roads and sidewalks with snow and ice.

University officials sent out their first decision early Monday at 5:00 a.m. when they cancelled classes scheduled before 10:00 a.m.

However, the University made a second, revised announcement at 7:00 a.m., cancelling all Monday classes.

Pat Hogan, executive vice president and chief operating officer, announced the decision in an email shortly after the decision was posted on the University’s Emergency Operations Status Board.

The snow caused various University services and buildings to modify or alter their schedules.

Both Alderman and Brown Libraries were closed for the day, and Clemons Library remained open until 10:00 p.m. Both the Darden and Law Libraries were closed, while the Health Sciences Library closed early at 5:00 p.m.

University Transit Services also operated on a modified schedule. The Northline, Inner Loop, Outer Loop and Colonnade Shuttle were not in service. Only the Green Route and the Stadium and Hospital Shuttle remained in operation.

All of the University Dining locations remained open as well as gym services at the AFC and North Grounds Recreation Center.

Athletic events continued as scheduled, and the men’s basketball team hosted N.C. State at John Paul Jones Arena. However, students without tickets could attend the game by showing their student ID at the door and finding an open seat in an upper level student section.

Second-year College student Chad Metzger said he enjoyed the academic and aesthetic benefits of the snow.

“On snow days I like to go to the tables on Clem 2 next to the window so I can do my work with a view,” Metzger said.

“I think snow days can really help everyone at U.Va. take a breather,” Moran said. “We are constantly deadline-oriented and, to me, having an unexpected break thrown in helps reduce the large amounts of stress we put on ourselves.”