​Thrash legends Metallica announce new album, stream single “Hardwired”

Metallica return to their roots and sound their strongest in a decade

<p>Metallica sound more like their classic selves, but their basic lyrics still leave much to be desired</p>

Metallica sound more like their classic selves, but their basic lyrics still leave much to be desired

Despite being the most popular metal band in the world, Metallica has been alienating its fans for decades. After the critically acclaimed “Black Album” broke into the mainstream in 1991, the band fell into a controversial decline with the streamlined “Load” and “Reload” and the abysmally produced “St. Anger.”

2008’s “Death Magnetic” promised a return to form, but the brickwalled production and bloated song lengths kept the renewed thrash metal from reaching the peaks of classics like “Ride the Lightning” and “Master of Puppets.”

With all this in mind, it’s easy to enter Metallica’s newly announced “Hardwired...To Self-Destruct” with an air of apprehension. Twelve tracks stretched across 80 minutes, the dreadful album artwork and track titles like “ManUNkind” all signal the same pitfalls the band has been stuck in for decades. What’s shocking is that the lead single, “Hardwired,” is actually really good.

Sure, it’s a simple track — it’s only three minutes long, and it revolves around a single riff with a trademark Hammett solo thrown in. This simplicity, however, is exactly the appeal. It’s a throwback to the origins of thrash metal, when “Reign in Blood” could have almost exclusively two-minute tracks.

James Hetfield clearly emulates Tom Araya’s “I’m-pissed-so-spit-out-words-as-fast-as-possible” style in the verses, and this short-and-sweet intensity gives the track all the edge it needs.

The only glaring flaws are the clicky kick drum sounds — a shame, since the rest of the production is so strong — and the terrible lyrics. “We’re so f----d / S--- outta luck” sounds pretty juvenile coming from one of the most successful bands in the world. It comes off as trying to sound like an angry thrash band, instead of sounding genuine.

This single still leaves us with a worrisome 11 tracks across 77 minutes on the album, so it’s unlikely “Hardwired…” will play off of the same strengths as this single. However, knowing that the band hasn’t sounded this good in years, at least we can move into the new album with cautious optimism.