Volleyball struggles at Bluegrass Battle

<p>St. Louis senior&nbsp;Danielle Rygelski led the Billikens in a comeback win&nbsp;over Virginia. The native of St. Charles, Missouri finished with 24 kills and three aces.&nbsp;</p>

St. Louis senior Danielle Rygelski led the Billikens in a comeback win over Virginia. The native of St. Charles, Missouri finished with 24 kills and three aces. 

The Virginia volleyball team was unable to come out of its third tournament of the season with a win, dropping three straight games at the Bluegrass Battle in Lexington, Ky. The Cavaliers entered the tournament 3-3 and were looking to get on a win streak, but could not get any momentum going against the competition.

Virginia came close to victory against its first opponent, St. Louis, going up 2-1 before letting the Billikens tie and take the final set. The Cavaliers couldn’t contain St. Louis’s senior Danielle Rygelski, who took over the match with 24 kills and three aces.

Virginia was beaten handily in straight sets by its second two opponents, Kentucky and Marquette, losing multiple sets by double digits. Senior Haley Kole, usually a force in Virginia’s offensive attack, was limited to single-digit kills in the final two games, and the rest of the team could not compensate for her ineffectiveness.

The Cavaliers will have one more weekend to work out their kinks before ACC conference play begins. They will play at the Baylor Classic in Waco, Texas in their final non-conference tournament. Virginia begins play Friday night against Baylor before taking on both Washington State and College of Charleston in a doubleheader on Saturday.