​Virginia to clash with Highlanders

Cavaliers look to continue their momentum against in-state foe

<p>Led by redshirt junior midfielder Pablo Aguilar, whose equalizer against UNC fueled the Cavaliers to their first ACC victory of the season, Virginia soccer will host Radford on Tuesday.&nbsp;</p>

Led by redshirt junior midfielder Pablo Aguilar, whose equalizer against UNC fueled the Cavaliers to their first ACC victory of the season, Virginia soccer will host Radford on Tuesday. 

Virginia hosts in-state opponent Radford Tuesday in Klöckner Stadium at 7 p.m. It will be first of three straight home games, two of which will be non-conference contests. The Cavaliers (6-2-3, 1-2-2 ACC) look to extend their two-match win streak, including their most recent victory against conference rival No. 4 North Carolina.

With two second half goals and a big come-from-behind victory against the Tar Heels, the Cavaliers have a lot of confidence heading into Tuesday’s matchup against the Highlanders (9-2, 3-0 Big South). However, they will have their hands full against an upstart Radford squad that has scored 18 goals in their 11 matches this season. The Highlanders are a balanced bunch, with nine different goal scorers.

“They are a well-coached team, with organized and disciplined players. They are not intimidated by ACC teams. Much like Hofstra, they will come in here and play well,” coach George Gelnovatch said.

It won’t be an easy match for Virginia, and with the Cavaliers’ strong defensive play the past month of the season, it could be another close score. Coming off such an emotional and important win last week in Chapel Hill, N.C. in driving rain, players are trying to stay focused and not dwell on the past.

“It is like any other mid-week game. We play a very good opponent, with as much energy as any ACC opponent we play. It’s important we don’t have any letdowns tomorrow night that could negate the hard work we put in at Chapel Hill Friday,” junior goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell said. “They know how to get results, and we will have to put in a good, hard, focused performance to get the win.”

With only a handful of games left in regular season play, the Cavaliers want to keep up their momentum and prepare for postseason play. With so many top-ranked ACC teams in the mix, it is vital to minimize the lapses and build on the rhythm of the past five matches.