Jun 28, 2017

SPORTS

Women’s golf battles inconsistency to finish eighth at Tar Heel Invitational

spwgolfgonzalescourtesyvirginiaathletics

Sophomore Morgan Gonzales' 218 (2-over) was good enough to land her in the top 20 this weekend, and keep Virginia within striking distance. 

The Virginia women’s golf team finished in eighth place out of 18 teams at the Tar Heel Invitational tournament in Chapel Hill, N.C.

It was a solid showing by the Cavaliers, especially considering how competitive the tournament was. 11 out of the 18 competing teams were nationally ranked in the top 50 for Division I, according to Golfstat.com.

Virginia shot a three round score of 875 (11-over). The team once again mixed some inconsistent play with some outstanding play. The Cavaliers scored a 297 (9-over) in round one to put them in a tie for 12th place after the first day.

Virginia then had an excellent second round, shooting a score of 283 (5-under) to move them up to sixth place. The score of 283 was the second best score in any round of the tournament, trailing only eventual tournament champion Wake Forest’s score of 282 (6-under) in the first round.

The Cavaliers closed the tournament with a round three score of 295 (7-over) to finish with an eighth-place combined score of 875.

The top performer for Virginia was sophomore Morgan Gonzales, who shot a score of 218 (2-over) to individually finish tied for 17th out of 96 golfers. Junior Lauren Diaz Yi and sophomore Anna Redding also had strong showings, with both recording scores of 220 (4-over) to finish tied for 22nd.

The Cavaliers will next compete in the Landfall Tradition tournament in Wilmington, N.C. from Oct. 28-30. It will be the team’s final tournament of the fall season.

Published October 16, 2016 in Sports