Football turns to Johns ahead of Georgia Tech game

Cavaliers defense must adjust to option offensive scheme

<p>Senior quarterback Matt Johns replaced junior Kurt Benkert as the starter this week, but saw the same results, as the Cavaliers dropped their sixth straight game.&nbsp;</p>

Senior quarterback Matt Johns replaced junior Kurt Benkert as the starter this week, but saw the same results, as the Cavaliers dropped their sixth straight game. 

The finale of Virginia’s final game — Senior Day — at Scott Stadium last week ended quietly, as players exited the field after a 34-14 loss to Miami to see few Cavalier fans filing out of the stands.

Now, with a bowl game out of consideration, the Cavaliers (2-8, 1-5 ACC) seek improvement as they head out on the road for two final ACC matchups. The first destination is Bobby Dodd Stadium in Atlanta, Ga. to face Georgia Tech.

“The outcome and the record at this point doesn’t show,” coach Bronco Mendenhall said. “But my internal day-to-day with these guys is really, really enjoyable. I think there's a super foundation being laid at least in terms of expectation.”

Last season, Virginia bested the Yellow Jackets (6-4, 3-4 ACC) in Charlottesville by a score of 27-21. However, it seems that whoever is at home in the series has the advantage. Georgia Tech is 15-7 overall in the series when playing at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

The Cavaliers will have to make changes to their defensive scheme in anticipation of the option offense of the Yellow Jackets. However, defending against the option is a feat in which Mendenhall has plenty of experience.

“I love playing option football teams,” Mendenhall said. “It's a great challenge. I like defending it, and I like the all-inclusive nature of what your week looks like when you go into something like that.”

Last week, Georgia Tech took down No. 18 Virginia Tech, 30-20. Freshman offensive lineman Parker Braun earned ACC Lineman of the Week honors after recording 10 knockdowns and helping the Yellow Jackets’ option offense tally 309 rushing yards against the Hokies’ stifling defense.

In Virginia’s Monday press conference, Mendenhall and players both stressed the importance of a full week of practice to prepare for the option offense, which the Cavaliers have yet to face this season.

“I think film study for this offense will be key,” redshirt freshman defensive end Eli Hanback said. “Being able to see it and learn from film in practice I think will be the best thing to prepare for it.”

One key player that the defense will rely on against the Yellow Jackets is junior linebacker Micah Kiser. Virginia has relied on his leadership all season, but with 231 tackles over his 22 career starts, the junior brings results. Kiser is also instrumental in helping develop the young Cavalier defense.

“He’s the centerpiece,” Hanback said. “He’s the captain. He leads us. For the young guys I think it’s a learning curve for them, and for me. But getting this early playing time is going to help us a lot.”

Georgia Tech’s defense was strong in last week’s win too. Junior defensive back Lawrence Austin won ACC honors as well, being named Defensive Back of the Week. Austin helped the Yellow Jackets shake up Virginia Tech’s offense by recording two interceptions and a forced fumble to contribute to three of Georgia Tech’s four takeaways.

Turnovers are something that Virginia’s offense will have to be wary of Saturday. The Cavaliers have had issues with ball security in their past few contests. In the past two games, junior quarterback Kurt Benkert has fumbled the ball four times. His recent decline in offensive production may be part of the reason why Mendenhall made the decision this week to start senior quarterback Matt Johns Saturday rather than the East Carolina transfer, who has started all 10 of Virginia’s games this season.

Johns started all of last season, but was relegated to a backup role this year when Benkert was named the starting quarterback just before Virginia’s first game. This year, Johns has acted as the holder during field goals. However, he entered the game late in the fourth quarter last week against Miami, after Benkert’s second fumble of the game. The senior finished out his last game at Scott Stadium going three-of-seven for 64 yards, despite three of his passes being dropped by receivers.

“I have to let Matt have his chance,” Mendenhall said. “He's done way too much for the program and he's competed in such a manner where that's got to happen just from my standpoint as the head coach.”

However, Virginia’s uncertainty surrounding the quarterback position continues with this move. But despite uncertainty, the Cavaliers are happy to see Johns have another chance under center with just two games remaining in the season.

“We all love both Kurt and Matt,” senior linebacker Zach Bradshaw said. “Matt’s been around forever. I’m really happy for him and that he has this opportunity. If there’s anyone on this team that deserves this, it’s him.”

Both Johns and Virginia have a chance to make a statement in what remains of the season. Their first opportunity comes Saturday at 12:30 p.m.