What’s next for Eliminate the Hate?

Coalition’s future presence on Grounds remains topic of discussion

<p>A silent protest as part of the Eliminate the Hate campaign</p>

A silent protest as part of the Eliminate the Hate campaign

The Eliminate the Hate campaign — organized by a coalition of groups on Grounds — sought to combat hate speech at the University, planning daily events for the week of Nov. 14-18. The campaign culminated Nov. 18 with “Occupy the Rotunda” — a silent protest Nov. 18 in which students marched from dorms and the Corner and ended on the steps of the Rotunda. It is not yet clear what Eliminate the Hate’s future holds.

“I don’t know if Eliminate the Hate specifically has any more plans,” second-year College student Rawda Fawaz said. “We haven’t really discussed it yet.”

Fawaz headed the committee that organized the Teach-In — an event in which professors and students spoke about the history of hate speech. She said those involved in organizing the campaign will keep working with their constituent organizations to plan more events and dialogues.

“There’s so much to come in the next couple months, because every organization has definitely been very inspired and a lot of people are planning a lot of events at the moment,” Fawaz said. “There’s definitely always going to be something to do and something to go to regarding hate and bias, and just these issues in general on Grounds.”

Third-year Commerce student Ryan Hindle, who tabled one day for Eliminate The Hate, said he believes the campaign will have a lasting impact at the University.

“There were a lot of people who had reached out and said, ‘This was incredible. Thank you so much. It really spoke to how I was feeling,’” Hindle said.

Sam Magnes, a fourth-year Batten student and chair of the Jewish Leadership Council, was also involved in organizing Eliminate The Hate. Magnes said the campaign was very successful in having a visible presence on Grounds.

“We wanted to make sure that our events were in strategic locations,” Magnes said. “So no matter whether you’re in the E-School or if you’re walking around Central Grounds every day that you would see our events and know that this was happening.”

Queer Student Union President Jack Chellman, a third-year College student and Minority Rights Coalition executive board member, helped plan the Occupy the Rotunda protest. He said another goal of Eliminate the Hate was to continue support for minority communities throughout the year.

“I think it absolutely was successful in raising awareness of these issues, showing minority communities and minority students that they’re not alone — that they do have these communities that are here for them,” Chellman said.

Organizers said one of the challenges of the week was putting on a campaign in the wake of a contentious election.

“Our goal was always ‘bring the community together’ — no matter who you are or what you look like or what your political beliefs are,” Magnes said. “With such a unique election season, it was difficult to keep everyone focused on that goal.”

Incidents of hate speech on Grounds prompted the creation of Eliminate the Hate.

In September, the N-word was written on the walls of the Kent-Dabney Dorm Association. In October, the GrandMarc apartment complex was vandalized with anti-Semitic graffiti. Later in October, the word “terrorist” was written on a wall in Brown Residential College, with an arrow pointing to the room of two Muslim students. These were just a few of several incidents of hate speech around Grounds this semester.

“I think it’s easy to assume that we live in a community where everyone is accepted,” Magnes said. “But the events of this semester have hinted at an ugly undercurrent of racism and bias at U.Va.”

MRC Chair Attiya Latif, a third-year College student and campaign organizer, said several groups that were part of Eliminate the Hate will put on a town hall on diversity, equality and inclusion at the University Dec. 2.

“This is not a one-time campaign, this [is] something that should be constantly on people’s minds,” Latif said. “And if people are still thinking about it, they should continue to be fighting for equality and fighting for a safe and inclusive campus.”