Mar 28, 2017

SPORTS

​Unselfish Virginia dismantles Robert Morris, 79-39

spmbballhallcacollins

Devon Hall scored 13 points and grabbed five rebounds in Virginia's win against Robert Morris Saturday.

Senior point guard London Perrantes scored only four points on three field goal attempts Saturday, but four of his teammates picked up the slack and finished in double figures to lead Virginia to a 79-39 victory over Robert Morris.

Junior guard Devon Hall and freshman guard Kyle Guy co-led the Cavaliers (9-1) in scoring — each tallying 13 points. To go along with his season-high point total, Hall snatched five rebounds. Guy hit on 3-of-5 three-point attempts to keep his percentage slightly above 60 on the season.

Virginia had quality production in the paint, albeit against an undersized, timid Colonial frontcourt. Junior forward Isaiah Wilkins’ presence was felt in all aspects of the games, as demonstrated by his stats — notching seven points, six rebounds, six assists, a block and steal. Coach Tony Bennett saw welcoming signs of progress from a pair of sophomores, center Jack Salt and forward Jarred Reuter.

Using his strength and converting on his scoring opportunities at a higher rate, Salt contributed a career-high 10 points. Reuter also added 10 points, reaching double figures for the third time this season.

Junior guard Marial Shayok, on the other hand, had an off night. The Ottawa, Ontario native shot 1-of-6 from the floor for five points in 16 minutes.

Robert Morris sophomore guard Isaiah Still led all scorers with 16 points.

The 2016-17 Cavaliers held an opponent under 40 points for the fourth time this season. Virginia’s opponents are scoring just 46.7 points per game — ranking Bennett’s defense first in the nation by a comfortable 11-point margin over South Carolina (9-1). The Colonials shot just 17.4 percent in the second half, as the Cavaliers outscored them 47-21. Virginia shot 59.6 percent for the contest and assisted on 21-of-31 buckets.

The Cavaliers will travel across the country to face California (8-2) Wednesday at 10 p.m. EST. Last season, Virginia needed a clutch Perrantes three pointer with 10 seconds left on the clock to pull out a victory against the Golden Bears. 

Published December 18, 2016 in M Basketball, Sports