No. 14 men's lacrosse wins season opener over No. 6 Loyola

<p>Sophomore midfielder Ryan Conrad scored the game winning goal against No. 6 Loyola.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore midfielder Ryan Conrad scored the game winning goal against No. 6 Loyola. 

The Lars Tiffany era got off to a nice start for the No. 14 Virginia men’s lacrosse team, as they upset No. 6 Loyola, 16-15 in a high-scoring contest at the Ridley Athletic Complex in Baltimore, Md.

Virginia (1-0, 0-0 ACC) started strong, taking a 10-5 lead over Loyola (0-1, 0-0 Patriot League) midway through the third quarter. However, that lead didn’t last long as the rest of the match turned into a wild, see-saw affair with both teams gaining and losing momentum.

The Greyhounds were able to tie the game up at 10-10 with just under 13 minutes to go, but the Cavaliers responded with a 4-1 run, taking a 14-11 lead with just over eight minutes left in the match. Loyola refused to give in, going on a 4-1 run of their own, tying the score at 15-15. Finally, sophomore midfielder Ryan Conrad scored the game-winning goal, putting Virginia up for good and securing the victory.

It was a field day for the Cavaliers’ offense, as nine different players scored goals. Freshman midfielder Dox Aitken had a fantastic college debut, leading Virginia’s offense with four goals. Conrad also put together a great performance, notching three goals of his own. Freshman attackman Michael Kraus had a fine debut as well, scoring two goals along with a team-leading three assists.

The Cavaliers will now head back to Charlottesville for a Saturday afternoon matchup against Drexel, as the Cavaliers look to gain some early season momentum.