Renowned art critic Tyler Green discusses podcasts

Green shares unique venue for examining art

<p>Tyler Green&nbsp;spoke of his beginnings as a typical art critic and how he later moved on to create his podcast, Modern Art Notes.</p>

Tyler Green spoke of his beginnings as a typical art critic and how he later moved on to create his podcast, Modern Art Notes.

The McIntire Department of Art often presents guest lecturers, but hosting renowned art critic and historian Tyler Green on Feb. 7 was a unique opportunity. He spoke of his beginnings as a typical art critic and how he later moved on to create his podcast, Modern Art Notes (MAN).

“I didn’t like what art criticism had become,” Green said.

Originally, when the podcast began in 2001, Green focused more on explicit art criticism and analysis. In 2011, however, he began producing weekly, hour-long shows interviewing artists, historians and curators.

The podcast attempts to diversify among people and conversations. Green is conscious of gender inclusion in hopes of addressing a problem rampant in the art world, where women have been historically forgotten or excluded.

Green mentioned he is more interested in hearing artists talk about their work at length, as well as the work that inspires them. Personal preferences are telling, and on MAN, the focus is primarily on the artist as an individual. The episodes include discussion of each artist’s own work — processes and meaning — as well as their thoughts on other artists’ work. MAN goes beyond art into personal lives, history and morals — past and present.

This unique approach still offers a type of criticism, but it is largely dictated by the listeners themselves. Those tuning into the episodes decide whether they believe the artist or curator is successful, popular or in line with their own interests — Green does not explicitly engage in such evaluation.

The podcast emphasizes the powerful and relevant work of artists and curators. The tone is often lighthearted and fun — another of Green’s goals — but also offers thought-provoking insight into minds of those driving today’s culture and much of the political climate.

“I’m interested in how artists [impact] the times with their work,” Green said. “I want to prove that artists have agency and have an impact.”

Art has historically correlated directly to the social, political and cultural happenings of the time. Tyler Green’s podcast provides an archive for future generations to peruse and better understand the climate in 2017 or 2001.