No. 18 baseball sneaks past VCU on road

<p>Sophomore second baseman Andy Weber hit a RBI single in the eighth inning&nbsp;to give Virginia the lead over VCU.</p>

Sophomore second baseman Andy Weber hit a RBI single in the eighth inning to give Virginia the lead over VCU.

The No. 18 Virginia baseball team (20-6, 4-5 ACC) picked up a close 4-2 win over in-state rival Virginia Commonwealth (14-11, 3-0 A-10) Wednesday night.

The game was a pitcher’s duel throughout, with each team picking up runs scantily throughout the contest. VCU came out strong against junior starter Derek Casey in the first inning, plating two runs on an RBI single and a throwing error by junior catcher Caleb Knight. Casey would settle down after that, not allowing another run in his 6.1 innings of work striking out 10 Rams — a season high. The junior lowered his ERA to a team-leading 2.01 mark.

Virginia would at last get on the board after sophomore third baseman Nate Eikhoff scored junior designated hitter Charlie Cody. The Cavaliers would tie the game an inning later when junior outfielder Adam Haseley stole third base and advanced on a throwing error by the VCU catcher.

Both teams were quieted in the seventh inning, but Virginia would break through in the eighth on an RBI single by sophomore second baseman Andy Weber. From there, the back end of Virginia’s bullpen came through again, shutting down the Rams in relief of Casey. Virginia junior closer Tommy Doyle earned his seventh save of the season as he clamped down Virginia’s 20th win of the year.

Knight led the Cavaliers with three hits in just his third start of the season, making up after his costly first-inning error. Haseley had two hits to raise his batting average to a stellar .412.

Virginia will continue ACC play with a tough matchup against No. 2 Louisville. First pitch in the series is scheduled for 6 p.m. Friday at Davenport Field.