No. 3 men’s tennis tops Georgia Tech on Senior Day

<p>Junior Collin Altamirano won his doubles match, as Virginia beat Georgia Tech to move to 8-1 in ACC play.&nbsp;</p>

Junior Collin Altamirano won his doubles match, as Virginia beat Georgia Tech to move to 8-1 in ACC play. 

The No. 3 Virginia men’s tennis team beat No. 18 Georgia Tech, 6-1, Thursday afternoon on Senior Day.

Virginia (21-1, 8-1 ACC) had trouble getting things started against Georgia Tech (15-4, 7-2 ACC), as the team needed three matches to win the doubles point. However, the Cavaliers only had a few hiccups from there on out. Junior Collin Altamirano was the first to finish in doubles play, winning in straight sets. He was followed by fellow junior Henrik Wiersholm, who also won in straight sets in doubles.

Seniors Thai-Son Kwiatkowski and Alexander Ritschard celebrated Senior Day in style, both picking up victories. However, senior J.C. Aragone had more trouble on court six, falling to Georgia Tech junior Daniel Yun. Kwiatkowski topped junior Christopher Eubanks — ranked No. 5 nationally by the ITA — in straight sets. This victory was a major feat for the senior who was coming off a rough loss to North Carolina last week.

The victory extends the Cavaliers’ winning streak to four matches. In the win, they put an end to Georgia Tech’s five-game winning streak, and also handed the Yellow Jackets just their second loss in 15 matches. Heading into the final matches of the season, Virginia seems to be getting healthier by the day. With freshman Carl Söderlund back, and a few other players who are nearly fully recovered from injuries earlier in the season, the team is where it wants to be.

Thursday’s matchup was the final home conference contest for Virginia this season. The team will play its last home match next week when it takes on Richmond.