Men’s soccer wins home opener against Villanova 3-2 with Golden Goal

Coach George Gelnovatch comes all-time wins leader at Virginia

<p>Freshman midfielder Faris Adbi scored a 53rd minute goal and added an early assist in his collegiate debut.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman midfielder Faris Adbi scored a 53rd minute goal and added an early assist in his collegiate debut. 

It took nearly two full 10-minute overtime periods before junior defender Sergi Nus knocked in a penalty kick in the 105th minute to down Villanova, 3-2, and to extend the Cavaliers winning streak at Klöckner to 17-straight games.

With the victory, Coach George Gelnovatch became No. 13 Virginia’s all-time wins leader — a great accomplishment for the man who has guided the team to multiple national championships. 

The 3-2 victory gives the Cavaliers (1-0-0) four-straight season-opening victories, all at Klöckner Stadium. 

“I think anybody’s home opener gives you confidence, especially in the way that you did it, you win in overtime,” Gelnovatch said. “I wanna give Villanova a lot of credit, I told their coach, I think that’s an ACC caliber team. We basically got an ACC game right off the bat.”

The game appeared like it was headed towards a 2-2 draw in the final minutes, when junior forward Simeon Okoro — who was subbed in in the 103rd minute — found space on the far side of the box and draw a penalty for Nus to deliver. 

“It was an amazing feeling to play tonight, and I think [the fans] really help us until the last minute,” Nus said. “I think that guys that came off the bench did an amazing job. I would like to say that Simeon that created the PK, was an amazing player and did a really good job.”

“I was very calm,” Nus said. I trust in myself...In the practices with the team I always stay a little bit after the game, so I was very confident.”

Virginia saw standout performances from both the expected and the unlikely. Freshman midfielder Faris Adbi scored a 53rd minute goal and added an early assist in his collegiate debut. Junior forward Edward Opoku — an early Herman Trophy watch list member — knocked in a ninth-minute goal off a great assist by Adbi.

The Cavaliers defense seemed to be out of focus early on, allowing Villanova (0-1-0) to be the aggressor in the first half and relying often on senior goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell as an outlet and safety. Caldwell finished the game with five saves. 

Villanova’s aggressive play was noticeable, as multiple altercations ensued throughout the contest earning them six yellow cards. The dynamic nature of play allowed them to jump out the early-goal lead and create three chances on goal to Virginia’s one in the opening 20 minutes.

“I don’t know if it was like our defense, as much as I was surprised how aggressive they came at us,” Gelnovatch said. “ You know, they pressed us three-for-three in the back, and most teams don’t do that. So that caught us a little bit by surprise, how aggressive they were on their press, and then they’re good. They were aggressive and they’re good, so they caught us on a goal.” 

The assertive nature of the teams seemed to switch in the second half, with Virginia putting pressure on Villanova’s backline. Quickly the Cavaliers gained the shots advantage — finishing the contest outshooting the Wildcats, 27-13. 

Gelnovatch said the pace of play at the end of the first half allowed the Cavaliers to come out their energetic style of offense in the final 45 minutes. 

“I actually think the end of the first half, they were very aggressive in their press and coming at us, and I think they started getting a little bit tired at the end of the half,” Gelnovatch said. “I think you can only do that kind of thing in 30 minute increments, right, so you saw 30 minutes of them coming at us, then the last 15 minutes [of the half] I felt we started to control the game.”

Virginia will need to work on preventing and defending corner kicks in the upcoming contests. Villanova was able to amass a 10-6 advantage, including knocking in a 68th-minute goal to tie the game back up a 2-2.

“I take responsibility for the second goal because I was too aggressive on our defensive corners by putting too many guys high...And that’s my fault,” Gelnovatch said. 

The Cavaliers continue to play in the friendly confines of Klöckner Stadium next Thursday, Aug. 31 against Hofstra. The contest starts at 6 p.m.