Women’s soccer beats top-ranked West Virginia

<p>Virginia was first to get on the scoreboard, with sophomore forward Taylor Ziemer scoring.</p>

Virginia was first to get on the scoreboard, with sophomore forward Taylor Ziemer scoring.

In the 106th minute of play between the Cavaliers (2-0-0) and the Mountaineers (1-1-0), senior defender Megan Reid found the back of the net off a free-kick from junior midfielder Montana Sutton to give No. 10 Virginia the win over No. 1 West Virginia. 

The Cavaliers win at Dick Dlesk stadium was just the third time since 2014 that a road team defeated the Mountaineers in Morgantown.  

In a back and forth battle between the two teams, Virginia was first to get on the scoreboard, with sophomore forward Taylor Ziemer — who had eight goals in her freshman season — scoring against the Mountaineers’ goalkeeper Rylee Foster, who was this past week’s Big 12 defensive player of the week. 

Just 10 minutes later, West Virginia evened things out as senior midfielder Alli Magaletta scored off of a free-kick taken by junior defender Bianca St. Georges, marking the first goal conceded by the Cavaliers this season.   

With the second period of overtime nearing the end, Reid picked up the golden goal to give Virginia the win against last year’s NCAA tournament runner-up. 

The win for the Cavaliers follows a 2-0 road win against UNC-Wilmington, giving the Cavaliers an early two-game undefeated streak. 

West Virginia also entered the match with a win under its belt after the Mountaineers came away with 1-0 victory over No. 11 Georgetown. 

Virginia now heads back to Charlottesville for its home-opener against Liberty on Sunday, marking the first of five home games for the Cavaliers. In that five-game stretch, Virginia will also face two top-ten opponents, with No. 7 UCLA and No. 9 Penn State traveling to Klöckner Stadium.