Police investigating reported firearm incident at Boylan Heights

Authorities were notified that a man displayed a weapon when prevented from re-entering Boylan over the weekend

<p>Charlottesville Police were notified of an incident Sunday morning when a man reportedly displayed a weapon at Boylan Heights when he was prevented from re-entering the bar.&nbsp;</p>

Charlottesville Police were notified of an incident Sunday morning when a man reportedly displayed a weapon at Boylan Heights when he was prevented from re-entering the bar. 

Early Sunday morning, the Charlottesville Police Department was notified that a man displayed a firearm when prevented from re-entering Boylan Heights on the Corner. The man had been escorted out of the bar by bouncers earlier in the evening. 

The reported incident occurred around 1:45 a.m. and the suspect left the scene prior to the police’s arrival.

According to Charlottesville Police Lt. Steve Upman, the suspect was a black male and was escorted out of Boylan Heights earlier in the night due to disruptive behavior. Upman said the suspect attempted to return to the bar and was stopped by employees. He then displayed the weapon, reported to be a firearm. There were no reported injuries, Upman said.

University Spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said two witnesses reported that they saw the suspect leave the area in a dark-colored SUV.

According to de Bruyn, the University did not issue a Community Alert due to the rapid response from Charlottesville Police and the quick resolution of the situation. 

“Charlottesville Police cleared the incident within several minutes,” de Bruyn said in an email. “Given the quick law enforcement response, and as there was no ongoing threat to public safety, a Community Alert was not issued.”

The Charlottesville Police Department is continuing to investigate the incident.

Boylan Heights did not return a request for comment by press time.